Finding an out apiary.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Finding an out Apiary.

This is how I haver always done it and over the years I have been refused twice. Once because the person frankly didn’t seem to understand my question and the other because the spot I was asking about was about to be used for another project.

With social media people just seem to ask “I need a site for bees in this area”. And no doubt sometimes it actually works but here’s a wee thought to ponder. No is the easiest answer. “Can I have Mum.. “ and what is the answer….??

So how to turn that around? Supply the answer to them as they are busy people.

There is the “Can I put my bees on your land?” Answer no because it’s a load of hassle working out where to put them.

There is “Can I put some hives on that spot there as it is out the way of your people/livestock/traffic. Followed by saying in the past I’ve had very good relations with my landowners/farmers/gamekeepers and of course there is the usual rental fee of a pound of honey per hive.

The only person who can know what your requirements are is you. How far are you willing to carry or barrow hives. Is there water, shelter, the right forage and so on. So do your research and that frankly needs boots on the ground as they say.

Google earth is a great tool but is often out of date. That bonny spot is no longer accessible due to construction or what ever. I use GE for my motorhoming activities and I always try to have at least two or three options for any area I am going to as one at least is bound to have changed.

Out apiaries are very useful for many reasons whether for migratory beekeeping or heather or isolation. Go on you know you want one….

PH

Once you found a good spot PH, how do you find out who owns the land or spot?
I live in very rural Lincolnshire and have seen some good out the way spots one near a whole load of lime trees and brambles but no idea who the farmer is.

I’ve been approached by quite a few locals who fancied having bees on their ‘land’. Unfortunately it’s usually a not very big garden or they didn’t realise I would need fairly frequent access.
One did work out - my plumber has 4 acres tucked away near a nature reserve and offered the corner of a field by a hedge and is happy for me to drive across the field (which has a massive drainage ditch beyond the hedge) so never gets soggy.
Only downside was a massive wasp nest this year.

As mentioned above the way to find out is to ask and it's surprisingly easy.

PH

Latest posts

Back