Upmarket Honey packaging and labelling ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've always had good service from ebuyer and no problems with their products, so no complaints.

They've got quite an appauling track record. I haven't used them for ages (once bitten and all that). Extract from their Wikipedia page:
During 2005 Ebuyer had significant customer service problems. Sheffield Trading Standards received 282 complaints about the company, and the customer service phone number had been removed from its website. After this, the firm promised to improve its service, and restored the customer service number to its site. Average daily telephone wait times are published.

However this story on The Register from December last year suggests things haven not improved. There was an image from the ebuyer offices that show that their staff are rated on the number of customer returns they were able reject!

I just wound't risk buying from them again myself.

Significant confusion here.

This Samsung is NOT really similar to the Dell (eg c1760nw) - which is so small the paper drawer has to be open to hold A4.
The Samsung is MUCH bigger. (It takes up space all the time.)
Its actually a more advanced printer (does PostScript 3 emulation), and nominally has higher print resolution.
BUT there don't seem to be any *CHEAP* 'compatible' toners on eBay from the UK (and postage from the states kills cheap).

The Dell can be dead cheap to run. Its quick and simple (if dumb). And the fuser unit is happy to do double-sided "duplex" printing - the driver software supports it, although you do have to put the sheets through twice (it doesn't turn them over for you). And it has tablet printing capability.
All that is certain for that Dell.
Far from certain about the Samsung (though the price is amazing for a PostScript3 colour laser …)

Confusion on your part perhaps......Nobody mentioned anything about the Dell, let alone that it's similar to the Samsung...

Duplex printing means that the paper will turn over automatically if the printer has a duplex unit installed.. ...BUT, it seems it only works with PDF files.. and any printer will print on both sides of the paper...

I have a Canon MG5250 which will tun the paper over and print the other side but quite honestly..its quicker to print one side and put it back in yourself.

The best printer I have is a very old Epson R360.
I found that different printers print different shades of the same colour....but what I aslo found is that with Epson, any models which use the same cartridges will all print the same shades.
I have four printers in my little work area, and quite often when I am busy I will have three working at the same time.
Printing on thicker paper will often give better print quality.

No - any printer won't print on both sides of the paper without problems.

The laser (or leds for the Dell) is only responsible for drawing the image onto a transfer drum. That transfers the toner powder onto the paper, where it is held electrostatically until it goes through the heated "fuser" rollers. These melt ("fuse") the powder firmly onto the paper surface. Which is where the problems with double-sided printing can occur - notably with some of the first side melting off, onto the roller, and then being redeposited with every roller rotation - result grubby printing with offset 'ghost' images.

Don't try laser printing double-sided unless your printer specifically supports it!

A "duplex" unit automatically turns the paper over.
The Dell 1760 supports "manual duplex" printing. You turn the paper over, and it prints the other side without print quality suffering.

Thicker paper is not always better.
Printers have a maximum thickness specification (beyond which you risk damaging the transfer drum and fuser).
Smoother paper will generally give crisper laser printing.
For inkjets, different paper coatings better suit different ink technologies. (Simple advice - use the manufacturer's recommended paper.)

Colour consistency between printers (let alone between screen and print) is an awkward (and technically bloody complex) subject. If it really matters greatly to you, you need to learn about Colour Management Systems such as Apple's Colorsync. (And note that the Colour Profiles will be specific to the paper type.)
Or possibly just follow JBM's advice above.

Last edited:
And less than 24 hours later, the price has more than doubled.
Now £182 (possibly £162 if you get the cashback before the month end).
I suspect that yesterday's price was a misprice … like I said yesterday "the price is amazing for a PostScript3 colour laser".

Much the same thing happened last year when I bought mine from PC World..I put a link on forum and next day or two it went from £90 to £180.

I think beeks undersell their products. We sell ours in Cornwall at a premium price at selected markets and delis cant keep it on the shelf and appears to be plenty of money around for a premium product. Regular local clients do get a good discount though.
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

the only difference between the £6 basic stuff and the £14 top notch stuff for my honey, is a label and the twit in front of me, better labels adds value

If anyone thinks they have an upmarket label why not post a picture here? If we all follow the lead we can start to achieve decent prices for this amazing product.

I think beeks undersell their products. We sell ours in Cornwall at a premium price at selected markets and delis cant keep it on the shelf and appears to be plenty of money around for a premium product. Regular local clients do get a good discount though.

:iagree:

Another local concern churns their honey out with bog standard T's labels and it's on the shelf at quite a few shops for £3.50 a lb!!! My retailers however have no problems selling my 12 oz jars for £5.00

If anyone thinks they have an upmarket label why not post a picture here? If we all follow the lead we can start to achieve decent prices for this amazing product.

All the 'legal' stuff is on the back label

Nice to see your label is bilingual, mel is used by most European country's for honey so an attraction for our European tourism

First label is what I use at local Farmers' market; plain black label coordinates( I know....sad!) with the stall colours of black and beeswax colour (also sell candles in those colours)
I have colourful labels if I go to somewhere like Conwy Honey Fair (tourists like a splash of colour)

As JBM, legal info on back on a plain address label from vistaprint.

The painted colourful label is lovely. Did you know the artist.

John Lowrie Morrison
I'm in the process of asking if I can use it for a small print run of a couple of hundred.....He'll probably say no so it will be back to the drawing board.

As an aside, does everybody use tamper labels?

We do. After our inspection by environmental health to check our processes were okay the fella recommended them. Had some more made up in 10 mins by Massies while we waited a couple of weeks ago when visiting family 'up country' .
S

John Lowrie Morrison
I'm in the process of asking if I can use it for a small print run of a couple of hundred.....He'll probably say no so it will be back to the drawing board.

No harm in asking, there does seem to be a number of prints of his work so you never know.

As for tamper labels I don't but most of the people I know seem to. I will probably start as it looks like I am moving towards supplying retail outlets and I think they would prefer it.

Back