Unseasonal behaviour

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
After seeing a thread on here, think it was titled “spring flow?”
I thought I’d post these pictures taken 2/11/22 north Manchester area. Strawberries flowering & fruiting / bumblebee foraging on honeysuckle
Thought it would be good to see other examples from around the country so please post photo / area and let’s see how messed up our climate is becoming

Attachments

• A9839FF8-7381-44A9-9111-5250AFAE5D2E.jpeg
    A9839FF8-7381-44A9-9111-5250AFAE5D2E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • FB5CE4B1-B4D7-498A-989D-A6657CB54463.jpeg
    FB5CE4B1-B4D7-498A-989D-A6657CB54463.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Dahlias have just sprung to life! The severe drought here severely stunted their growth and the flower buds withered and failed to open. However we've had lots of rain in the last fortnight and at long last we have blooms.

Attachments

• 7F5B6080-34E2-4BE4-B872-327587EE9634.jpeg
    7F5B6080-34E2-4BE4-B872-327587EE9634.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
It's been a pretty grim day here weather-wise. I think we've spent most of it in the clouds. I took a little trip around the garden this morning to see what was in flower though. Dandelions to start with, though mostly closed up because it was so dull.

what-climate-01.jpg

Then some domesticated blackberries.

what-climate-02-rotated.jpg

And at the end of one of the veggie beds, calendula and hiding under the leaves, nasturtiums.

what-climate-03-rotated.jpg

One of the girls was working in the clary (and more calendula).

what-climate-04-rotated.jpg

They were also working the borage, though I couldn't get an action shot.

what-climate-05-rotated.jpg

There are flowers on the strawberry plants.

what-climate-06.jpg

And in the polytunnel, huge amounts of flower on a cayenne pepper.

what-climate-07-rotated.jpg

Back in the garden, more flowers on chives and rosemary.

what-climate-08-rotated.jpg

what-climate-09-rotated.jpg

And a bramble.

what-climate-10-rotated.jpg

I'm still seeing wasps out and about too, and they don't all look like queens trying to find somewhere to shack up for the winter.

And of course it's Bonfire Night, and I'm still working outdoors in shorts and short sleeves.

James

One of our outdoor tomatoes decided to start flowering again last week and a tub of dahlias has some new buds on it

Attachments

• 20221106_094712.jpg
    20221106_094712.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
After seeing a thread on here, think it was titled “spring flow?”
I thought I’d post these pictures taken 2/11/22 north Manchester area. Strawberries flowering & fruiting / bumblebee foraging on honeysuckle
Thought it would be good to see other examples from around the country so please post photo / area and let’s see how messed up our climate is becoming
Just harvested some lovely outdoor courgettes this morning, rasberries still going strong, strawberries flowering.
Late autumn sown broad beans way too big for the time of year, still have tomatoes in the polytunnel.
St5ill pulling up carrots and beetroot.
I even had some edible olives this year!
Bees still coming and going, no eggs , no larvae , no brood but a ton of honey and pollen
I'm in W Wiltshire.
All we need now is just one staple crop failure and we are done as a species.

One of our outdoor tomatoes decided to start flowering again last week and a tub of dahlias has some new buds on it
Ah, like us, you grow your toms in pots which sit on a reservoir which feeds and waters the plants via a wick. Great aren't they?

The jet stream is dragging warm air from the South over the UK, but colder air in a “loop“ to the West of Ireland.
Once it / if it shifts to the East, we‘ll all feel a sudden change…
A07C5DBF-2115-45D6-9243-B1A312A6FC33.jpeg

The jet stream is dragging warm air from the South over the UK, but colder air in a “loop“ to the West of Ireland.
Once it / if it shifts to the East, we‘ll all feel a sudden change…
View attachment 34359
Can someone tell the jet stream to ‘do one’ and head north please? Hasn’t stopped blowing an absolute hooley and belting down here for about a week. So over this weather :(

Just harvested some lovely outdoor courgettes this morning, rasberries still going strong, strawberries flowering.
Late autumn sown broad beans way too big for the time of year, still have tomatoes in the polytunnel.
Still pulling up carrots and beetroot.
I even had some edible olives this year!
Bees still coming and going, no eggs , no larvae , no brood but a ton of honey and pollen
I'm in W Wiltshire.
All we need now is just one staple crop failure and we are done as a species.
This morning I noticed fresh buds on my figs FFS!!!

Back