Swarm control, have we been doing it wrong?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well well. Seems good. New forecast. Next 4 days mere rain. Thanks to up there!. I change my yield forecast.

And in that chequerboard method there is no QE or am I missing something?

Fusion power - I assume you don't use a QE?

Phew, lost of methods and ideas described in this section and to be honest some seem a bit err overcomplicated when its really quite simple if you follow instructions, where beekeepers go wrong is when they start with one idea/method and half way through change it for something different, as what Ted Hooper said " its up to you how you manage swarm prevention but stick to one method"

Phew, lost of methods and ideas described in this section and to be honest some seem a bit err overcomplicated when its really quite simple if you follow instructions, where beekeepers go wrong is when they start with one idea/method and half way through change it for something different

Or don't have the right kit in the right place at the right time!

Worse is when you listen to people who operate in a totally different climate and have no idea of our conditions.

PH

Or don't have the right kit in the right place at the right time!
Yes, this can happen but really you don't have to split straight away when you see open QC's the bees will give you enough time to get home and get your kit together :driving:

Yes, this can happen but really you don't have to split straight away when you see open QC's the bees will give you enough time to get home and get your kit together

I always keep an empty queen cage in my top pocket so that if I need to do an AS I can pop her in the cage as soon as I see her.
Having the kit one site make life so much more relaxed. See QC, pop queen in cage and do your AS, put queen back in. Move on to the next one.........
Make sure you keep records as I noticed I still had a queen in a cage in my pocket on my way home. Fortunately I could work out which was the last hive that I did the AS on.

Worse is when you listen to people who operate in a totally different climate and have no idea of our conditions.

PH

I have learned lots of things from different climates. My climate things I have known 50 years...what you need is to use your branes.

Large, fixed volume hives - such as the Modified Dadant and De Layens - do not suffer from the same propensity to swarm that is a feature of hives with relatively small combs, such as the Langstroth and British National.

LJ

Swarming has nothing to do with comb or frame size.

Actually, I think it's good to remind ourselves of the basics of swarm prevention. I am very much of the view that we put too much emphasis on it. I am not one to encourage swarming but you no what, it's not worth getting so worked up about. It's natural reproduction so go with it if you are a back yard beek. I have huge respect for the late Walt Wright and I would be amazed if his articles had not been well read here in the UK. His method of checker boarding is, I believe, a well established practice of swarm prevention. However, beekeeping in Ecton TN, USA is very different to beekeeping in Teddington, Middlesex, UK. I just don't think checker boarding would work in the UK climate.

I us this method often last time was yesterday.

That checkerboarding in my climate would be a disaster. The author lives on Tennessee, which gas same latifude as morocco, 35 degree.

No one use that.

,nowadays Finnish beekeepers add new boxes under the brood on spring to avoid the cooling of brood box .

Swarming is easy to cut with AS. No problem.

Breeding non swarming bee strains are the key to swarm prevention..

Last edited:
Breeding non swarming bee strains are the key to swarm prevention..

WE have the Cornish Native Amm... what on Earth do you have?

Yeghes da

]... what on Earth do you have?

Yeghes da

Much land where to I can carry my hives. Rape field 3 hectares per hive on radius 1 km

I do not put hive stands at all, that they do not collapse

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back