Do super bees fight?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Sounds like a strange question but I remember a commercial beekeeper telling me that as part of swarm prevention he would take the supers from a big hive and swap them with a lesser hive - I think there was a bit more too selection (young queen Vs older queen) and it may have involved exchanging the broods rather than moving the supers, but end result was brood of one colony with supers from another. Apparently fighting wasn't a problem!
Anyone else com across this?
Can you move a super complete with bees onto another colony without problems?

Sounds like a strange question but I remember a commercial beekeeper telling me that as part of swarm prevention he would take the supers from a big hive and swap them with a lesser hive - I think there was a bit more too selection (young queen Vs older queen) and it may have involved exchanging the broods rather than moving the supers, but end result was brood of one colony with supers from another. Apparently fighting wasn't a problem!
Anyone else com across this?
Can you move a super complete with bees onto another colony without problems?
Not quite the same but I’ve on occasion shaken bees out of the supers into weaker colony’s then put frames in , no fighting going on , I will be trying it out now though it would be easier.

Latest posts

Back