uncapping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 + 1 Observation Hive
i tried using an uncapping comb and to be honest is was bobbins very small pieces of wax which clog up my filters, so the question is how many use the comb than an uncapping knife

I don't own a comb and never will. I do own a uncapping knife and a bread knife from the £ shop, which one do you think works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i tried using an uncapping comb and to be honest is was bobbins very small pieces of wax which clog up my filters, so the question is how many use the comb than an uncapping knife

It does work if you use it properly - a lot of people just scratch the surface with the fork/comb which will leave tiny leaves of wax that do clog up the seives. There's a good vid here that shows you how to use the comb ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCk4U9xjlvg

It is a bit slow compared to a knife but useful if your combs are a bit uneven.

I love using a comb if i am doing a little extracting of last frames etc. Personally i find using a comb means you can lift off or uncap a very fine layer, without much going in to the capping bin.
I could never do this when were extracting our main crop. far too slow, we usual twin radial decapping rakes or scratchers. they rip the surface up just fine.
I also find a decapping knife cuts too deep, lots of comb damaged and lots of honey to recuperate afterwards.

I must confess that as a newbie I looked at all the options and got out my hot air gun - works for me.

Hot gun gives to honey an extra aroma of melted wax.

I have used it, and never again. Then bread knife is better.

I have used 45 years electrict knife. If blade is too hot, it gives too that wax aroma.

I think that most hobby beekeepers in Finland use uncapping fork.

I must confess that as a newbie I looked at all the options and got out my hot air gun - works for me.

Wax melts at 63 degrees C***...use the hot air blower on cool!
Most "hot knifes" run with far too high a temperature.... sold mine on a few years back.... which reminds me I have a very nice water heated Pratley Tray... made in heavy quality stainless I must sell on!

Yeghes da
Beeswax has a relatively low melting point range of 62 °C to 64 °C (144 °F to 147 °F). If beeswax is heated above 85 °C (185 °F) discoloration occurs. The flash point of beeswax is 204.4 °C (400 °F)...
Before our Scandinavian multi degree man throws a hissie fit about my lack of education!!!

Last edited:
I find the uncapping fork better than a knife as the comb is rarely even. Also find a knife strains my hands & arms.

I use a comb to scratch and break the cappings.
I run the honey from the extractor into tubs through a coarse filter made from an orange-type net.
After storing or standing the tub is warmed for 24 hours. The wax comes to the top and can be skimmed off.
The warm honey is filtered through a fine nylon filter into a bottling tub. Filter cloth was salvaged from a bunch of Dutch flowers sold by Tesco.
Warming for 24 hours lets the air bubbles rise to the surface and then bottling starts.

So coarse and fine filters all food grade then?

I use a Hot Air Paint Stripper it works brilliantly with just a quick pass over the comb your ready to extract with no mess.

I use rollers three in fact one in use, one in warm water to release the wax imbedded on it and one drying ready for use a bit of a faf I know but works for me best I did this year was three hundred frames extracted on my own in five hours.

I run the honey from the extractor into tubs through a coarse filter made from an orange-type net.
After storing or standing the tub is warmed for 24 hours. The wax comes to the top and can be skimmed off.
The warm honey is filtered through a fine nylon filter into a bottling tub. Filter cloth was salvaged from a bunch of Dutch flowers sold by Tesco.
Warming for 24 hours lets the air bubbles rise to the surface and then bottling starts.

So coarse and fine filters all food grade then?

I use two grades of ladies tights - small fishnet and standard for coarse and fine filter (after SWMBO has finished with them)
For first quality fine filtering in readiness for the Royal Welsh I just use the gusset :D

When I use frame number -1, combs a little bit fat and easy to uncap with electrict knife. Often they need to straighten and e- knife is good in that.

I use an uncapping fork just fine. Re Pargyle, you need to use it properly and don't use it to scratch. Very little wax makes it the extractor. I would find a faster method if I had a lot of hives though

I use two grades of ladies tights - small fishnet and standard for coarse and fine filter (after SWMBO has finished with them)
For first quality fine filtering in readiness for the Royal Welsh I just use the gusset :D

That's all very well but what do you use to strain honey?

Latest posts

Back