Uncapping tool

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer24

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Any suggestions on the most efficient and easiest to use uncapping tool.
Only 6 hives (on average) and usually demaree a 50 to75% of them depending on strength of colony.
I make my own foundation less frames and have been taking cut comb up till now but I received a four frame spinner for Christmas and now need to experiment with uncapping tools an produced new super frames with supporting rods as well as upgrading existing frames to reduce blow outs!
Cheers.

serrated uncapping knife
A lot of my shallow frames have unwired thin foundation and I treat them just the same as any other frame - never had an issue. I think the need for wired frames/foundation in frames for extraction is another one for the apocrypha

I'll be the one to say "electric carving knife" then. Used one for the first time last year. It was wonderful. I'm going to have to buy another to keep as a spare.

James

I'll be the one to say "electric carving knife" then. Used one for the first time last year. It was wonderful. I'm going to have to buy another to keep as a spare.

James
Yes I’ve seen one used and used one for the first time last year Ian’s point about having the wax drawn just past the frame edges is a good one. I’m determined to trim all mine down at next harvest

supporting rods ... to reduce blow outs
Extract at 25% speed for the bulk and accelerate to max only for the last couple of minutes. Shouldn't need to reinforce combs.

I extract a lot of unwired cut comb and have yet to blow one. In fact, I've given up using wired SN foundation: saves money, gives options.

James
The ones on Amazon all seem to be corded - shame there's no cordless versions.

James
Ha ha James, Im glad you got that one in! Having used one on foam for upholstery a few years back I thought about trying it when the time comes, my wife wouldn't let me use hers out of the kitchen (strangely) and so I bought a nearly new one at a car boot for about 2 quid. Worked a treat on foam so also thought for un capping.

We have a heated knife which has never box or of the box. We use the uncapping fork, but we only have four hives

Hot air gun backed up by rotating cylinder with s/steel prongs for any difficult combs (plastic bends)

Latest posts

Back