UK mated queens shortage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
Not only the Jetstream has led to a really poor summer crop but it also seems to have impacted on UK breeders' ability to rear throughout August. I have spoken to a couple of breeders who have called it quits for this season with just enough mated queens for their own use.

Not only the Jetstream has led to a really poor summer crop but it also seems to have impacted on UK breeders' ability to rear throughout August. I have spoken to a couple of breeders who have called it quits for this season with just enough mated queens for their own use.
I’m grafting tomorrow😂

We are still grafting and rearing queens, mostly for our own use, and shipping the few we have outstanding for customers this season. We arn't accepting more orders now for 2023.

Black mountain are offering discounts on uk queens

very sad to hear for all those who earn a living out of beekeeping. it goes to show how tough it can be in this country and perhaps why the Uk is, and will still be so reliant on queens' import....regardless what BIBBA says!!

Last edited:
While on a topic of queens and rather than starting a new thread, could someone enlighten me as to how the UK suppliers of imported queens store them until sold? Are they just banked and could stay for a little while in the introduction cage hoping to be sold quickly?

Latest posts

Back