UFE…are they worth it?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’m considering making an UFE for each of my hives. Are they as good as I’m led to believe…do they literally solve any problems with wasps completely?

I’m considering making an UFE for each of my hives. Are they as good as I’m led to believe…do they literally solve any problems with wasps completely?
Nothing does but they stack the odds in your favour. If you put the entrance further back you can use an entrance block to create a long narrow tunnel for the most vulnerable colonies. All my colonies including the nucs are on UFE.

A weak colony with a UFE will be overwhelmed by wasps. (Had that).
Just makes it more difficult.

The wasp proof entrances - as outlined on another thread- will be overwhelmed by wasps if the colony is weak (had that)

I do find ,however, that a number of strong colonies close together will discourage wasps and a weak colony is safer amongst them (had that)

But - I have learned from mistakes - and unite weak colonies end June. The only sure answer is strong colonies and narrow entrances.

Edit : I discourage beginners from doing autumn splits because of wasps.

So is the key just to have some kind of tunnel entrance, or is the underfloor part important too?

A weak colony with a UFE will be overwhelmed by wasps. (Had that).
Just makes it more difficult.

The wasp proof entrances - as outlined on another thread- will be overwhelmed by wasps if the colony is weak (had that)

I do find ,however, that a number of strong colonies close together will discourage wasps and a weak colony is safer amongst them (had that)

But - I have learned from mistakes - and unite weak colonies end June. The only sure answer is strong colonies and narrow entrances.

Edit : I discourage beginners from doing autumn splits because of wasps.

Watching the bees this morning, seeing off a bumble, a very nervous wasp and on the odd occasion in their excitement, even their own brethren carrying pollen, my experience is the same, in that with strength proportionate to the entrance size, bees are really efficient at protecting a standard entrance.

But I have a Mini-Plus poly-nuc containing a tiny colony, and they are also good at defence, partly because the entrance is tiny and designed so that entry requires bees to dip downwards before going slightly upwards. The resident bees are in the same position as defenders in a medieval castle, but without the cauldrons of boiling oil.

So is the key just to have some kind of tunnel entrance, or is the underfloor part important too?
underfloor entrances discourage wasps, they also stop mice getting in to the hive, been using them for well over a decade and I wouldn't go back to conventional floors.

The important part is a long narrow easily guarded entrance.
A wasp trying to enter a colony not under attack is confused by the entrance if it is under the floor at the end of a deep porch
Under attack you achieve the tunnel entrance by putting an entrance block in

Nothing does but they stack the odds in your favour. If you put the entrance further back you can use an entrance block to create a long narrow tunnel for the most vulnerable colonies. All my colonies including the nucs are on UFE.
Do you have the UFE on all year round?

Latest posts

Back