Treating bee stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chlorpheniramine (also called Pititon) is the antihistamine of choice as it is rapid action although you need to take it every few hours, rather than daily like the more recent introduction. If stung put one under your tongue to fastest response, rather than swallow it. Also hydrocortisone cream to the site.

If you are allergic, you either are or you aren't, or have any symptoms other than at the site of the sting, eg breathing disturbance, lip swelling, facial flushing etc should take take immediate medical advice, eg ring 111.

I was once stung 27 times after catching a very aggressive swarm, and them finding a hole in the suit (long story), with the worst being in the armpit which was itchy for days. I was giddy for about 20 minutes, and felt sick for a couple of hours. (like sun\heat stroke)

I was stung on the back of the hand in April. The lump did not disappear until December.

I was stung three times on the back of the neck last Autumn at lunchtime. by the time I got back to work, my face was swollen and I could only just see.

Stings in different places can affect you in completely different ways...

I noted at beetradex, one of the clothing manufacturers was selling a suit for 'bee sting allergy sufferers' for £299. It had a firm outer shell and was double lined.

How do you treat bee stings? I am a bit allergic and would be happy for any advice.

Do not take Dichlorphenic**... a pain killer... seems to enhance the reaction

** Think that is how it is spelled... where is Doc Stilson when you need him?

Nos da

Do not take Dichlorphenic**... a pain killer... seems to enhance the reaction

** Think that is how it is spelled... where is Doc Stilson when you need him?

Nos da

Diclofenac is an anti inflammatory ibuprofen. Took some last week had a tooth absess was in agony, just as well it ain't beekeeping season didn't no it would react with stings

Diclofenac - it's an NSAID - strange thing, was on them for years and had no effect on my reaction to stings (or lack of)

And yet when I got stung on the hand while taking ibuprofen the reaction extended very painfully past my elbow; never before and not since. It must be an idiosyncratic thing.

And yet when I got stung on the hand while taking ibuprofen the reaction extended very painfully past my elbow; never before and not since. It must be an idiosyncratic thing.

No - I just think it depends on the individual

Try 'After Bite'

I would agree with the comments on antihistamines, but have found After Bite very useful as a topical treatment for stings - particularly if applied soon after being stung.

Quite why a dilute solution of Ammonia should work as well as it does I have no idea, but it is not too expensive and works for me!

I would agree with the comments on antihistamines, but have found After Bite very useful as a topical treatment for stings - particularly if applied soon after being stung.

Quite why a dilute solution of Ammonia should work as well as it does I have no idea, but it is not too expensive and works for me!

My preferred sting pen has ammonia in it. Not quite so good if you have a sting near you eye.

Back