Trading standards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
I have been contacted by TS saying they are testing honey in Wales, and would like a sample. Don't know what they are testing for I will ask when he comes, also to check my labels are still ok. Any one else been contacted?

I have been contacted by TS saying they are testing honey in Wales, and would like a sample. Don't know what they are testing for I will ask when he comes, also to check my labels are still ok. Any one else been contacted?

Not yet but could it be to do with this EU GM ruling ?

Doubt it as it I dont think it has become law yet.

Fukushima monitoring?
Chernobyl monitoring?
Are you supposed to declare your honey is made in a radiation monitored area? As Wales still is isnt it.

maybe you need to read up on it before posting

maybe you need to read up on it before posting

Hmmm -

Well Wales is still monitored. I know that.

And honey is one of the first indicators of wind born deposits of radioactive particulate matter. Specifically the comb but its found in the honey also. But the comb concentrates the deposits so you usually get higher readings.

So I guess you mean a) You dont know or b) you cant be bothered to say or c) A+B
Either way I would guess its a possible for Fukushima deposits. Or to test for some other possible chemical exposure your region has been exposed to.

Either way you could have just Pm'd a FO or FY message lol.

Do you declare your honey has radiation in it then? As most of the uk has had a dose from either chernobl or fukishima?

I cant answer the question if I dont know the answer as they haven't told me what they are looking for, but I will be sure to let you know when I do find out. If i can
a) be bothered
b) want to tell you
c)a+b:rolleyes:

Last edited:
No idea why this seems odd.

We are talking trading standards here, and they have brief to do a programme of spot checks on honey, to ensure that it is meeting the claims on the labels.

We get it on a regular basis. They turn up, take some jar and bulk samples, and off they go for testing, and not for any of the exotic suggestions either. Basically a standard physical properties test for water content hmf etc, and a pollen anlysis to see it is not obviously of non local origin,m and of correct type if floral source is claimed.

Its nothing sinister.

Doubt it as it I dont think it has become law yet.
The Court (a month ago) were clarifying the way that the law has been since 2003 (or thereabouts) when the relevant Regulation and Directive came into force.

So, as of the moment the Court published its findings, that interpretation is the Law that all Courts in the EU would apply.
No delay needed whatsoever.

But its probably a more routine testing for HMF and other potential contaminations.

what do I charge them for the honey lol

Ask them for a "Get Out Of Jail" card for the future should you need it

If youve nothing to hide then youve nothing to hide. I've always been quietly pleased to be asked for samples, after all, we'd all like to see the rogues weeded out.

I have no problem at all to the visit, I was just curious to see if anyone else in Wales has been asked. As mentioned above it seems to be common practise.

Wiltshire, I had a jar purchased on a local farmers market, its just as Into The Lions Den said, they are routine testing for water content, correct pollen for the locality and HMF they are also getting hot on labels, my THxxxxs had "best before december 2012" and that failed because the word " end" is not present, nothing sinister as far as I know and they paid the going retail price for the sample.

"best before december 2012" and that failed because the word " end" is not present, nothing sinister as far as I know and they paid the going retail price for the sample.

Surely that just means that last recommended date is November 30th, 11:59:59pm?

Adam

my THxxxxs had "best before december 2012" and that failed because the word " end" is not present
Yes, a curious detail as it appears in the 1996 regulations which we were discussing at the local bka. The rules cover all packaged food, not specifically honey and the basic requirement is that you must put 'best before' a day month year in that order, so "best before 31 Dec 2014" is the full and acceptable form.

The rules are relaxed in that if the date would normally be within three months, you can drop the year, so fresh fruit might be "best before 31 Dec". The date concession if it's over three months is that you can drop the day and if it's over 18 months you can drop the month too. But because dropping the day or month leaves a significant difference the rules require an 'end' to be inserted.

a) 'best before end 2014'
b) 'best before end Dec 2014'
c) 'best before 31 Dec 2014'

The above are all good and effectively the same date.

d) 'best before 1 Dec 2014' is also good but not the same as above
e) 'best before Dec 2014' is not allowed because it could mean anywhere between c) and d) and
f) 'best before Dec 31 2014' is not acceptable this side of the Atlantic.

Sounds fussy in relation to honey where the date is likely to be two years away but 'thems the rules' and I'm surprised a big supplier like Thornes don't get it right. Their web site claims the date rules are from 2003, they have not actually changed since 1996. You are expected to add dates, lot number and origin (e.g. 'produce of the UK') as additional information, but they are clearly not checking it is legal. The Thornes disclaimer is not to rely on their advice, which we can agree with.

Hmmm -

And honey is one of the first indicators of wind born deposits of radioactive particulate matter. Specifically the comb but its found in the honey also. But the comb concentrates the deposits so you usually get higher readings.

So I guess you mean a) You dont know or b) you cant be bothered to say or c) A+B
Either way I would guess its a possible for Fukushima deposits. Or to test for some other possible chemical exposure your region has been exposed to.

Either way you could have just Pm'd a FO or FY message lol.

radon is also radioactive.

if you ever wondered why the cornish glow in the dark! ;-)

http://www.ukradon.org/map.php?map=englandwales

Well spoken to him this evening and visiting tomorrow. They will test for antibiotics,hmf,pollen and water content. Oh and that my labels are still ok.

Hmmm -

Only bits of it - Wales is a big place you know, especially if you flatten it out. SWMBO worked in Welsh government agriculture for quite a few years - no radiation monitoring round our way

Latest posts

Back