Trading standards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to, but I think you'd be better spending your money on just about anything else you could name. Except Greek or Italian bonds.
It is very dense, far denser than air, that's why it tends to be an issue in basements, as it "sinks".
so if you have an OMF it will just sink out anyway!

And Cornish honey? (as opposed to that from anywhere else)
I know the rocks are 'hotter' than most (and basements need venting, etc), but does much transfer?

Granite and Radon. Well Radon is unpredictable. You can go months without it showing up and then suddenly you have lumps of it round the back. Its dangerous in the respect that (if memory serves) its an Alpha emitter. Alpha being the worst you can have inside you. And radon being a gas you can get it inside you easily. But that said these expensive pumps to expel it are IMO are a waste of money. Open a door, or open a window and its gone to atmosphere. If you have an open fire dont even bother. And its not just Cornwall, its actually a lot of the west. There is a map link somewhere that shows peaks of high radon.

Some sources have it as the highest source of ionising radiation to man but in actuality it is the medical profession with specific finger pointing at the dental profession.

Radon Map: http://tinyurl.com/csxedp4

Basements - thats a different story. However I still wouldnt bother. IMO by the time it took me to get overexposed to that, to increase my chances of getting a hard tumour later in life, I would have died laughing at a post on this forum through old age.

Last edited:
I have a wrist watch (was my father's) which emits a higher count rate than some radioactive samples in schools.

Then there is the radon gas from granite rocks, particularly a risk for those living in certain areas. (OK mentioned above , while typing this)

I remember there were a group of Navy men who were 'caesium-137' specimens for quite a while, many years ago, after inhaling dust while decommissioning a nuclear part.

Re the Welsh sheep: I think the 'parent sheep' cannot be marketed for human consumption but the lambs can be transferred to other pastures before being grown-on and killed for meat.

Having worked in the industry (but not the nuclear power generation part), I don't worry too much about most of it - unless necessary.

RAB

Actually I was quite shocked to see some of the pie charts, I began to think the rules had changed, then I found one that suited my argument lol:

http://tinyurl.com/ca72tr9

Hopefully a bit more reliable than those official looking ones.

As for your watch RAB, I used to paint my hand as a kid with glow in the dark paint. It was in an old model shops shelves. LOL - and as a throw away fact Spitfire pilots - some of who are still alive today (dont forget the women), could expect to receive 20 usv per hour.

Worth a read is a book called "the radioactive boy scout" which is a true story about a young lad who built his own nuclear pile in his dad's shed using househould chemicals, and no real safety equipment.

Worth a read is a book called "the radioactive boy scout" which is a true story about a young lad who built his own nuclear pile in his dad's shed using househould chemicals, and no real safety equipment.

LOL - brilliant. I remember a few years ago a bloke built on in a shed in his back garden.

Your ref: http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html

Just read it on the link above - A MAZ ING lol.

Last edited:
LOL I love the photo - at what point do you decide that maybe your open sores are a little more than teenage acne. Smart enough to build a reactor or at least produce fissionable material, but looks in the mirror and ..... "I still got it" lol

should I be putting a RADON counter in the hives...... few 10000m of granite below them?

The first obvious questions is to ask whether these hives are situated well off the ground and whether they have solid floors.

If the answers are: there is adequate ground clearance for a fair draught under the hives and they have solid floors, I reckon you could answer you own query. I doubt there are many 10 000m of granite below your hives, btw. I think you may be exaggerating slightly.

Then there is the 3 month wait for the thing to read the levels plus another month for the results which would be - yawn - lol. You'd probably have to wait a month to get it. You could paint stripes on it though cause it's yellow.

The best one I saw was (and it's probably still for sale) a beautiful old engine house. The story goes that it's come onto the Market after the old chap, bit of a recluse, died. The family just wanted it sold. Initially it was £350,00.00 but it did drop but nit by much. 2 bedroom. So I was looking at the details online and I thought - very pretty but where is the mine shaft.

Mentioned it to a friend of mine and she said "omg we went to view it (richer than us then) and it's beautiful but we contacted the mine reference organisation (forget the name ATM) and asked whT type of mine was it, copper, tin, arsenic .... She said the phone went quiet and there was some mumbling and the chap came back with this "oh wow that's quite a historic mine that - it's one of the ones Marie Curie used to get her uranium from." - nuff said.

She spoke to the estate agent who suddenly had his memory return to him "well that's nothing to worry about let me assure you. In fact it's so unimportant it slipped my mind what type of mine it was. But dont worry they removed a meter of topsoil all around it years ago. When they built RAF St Mawgan (Newquay airport). And they put it all in the footings of that." His words not mine. So that's "dispersed it everywhere around there somewhere" maybe, perhaps.

Back on thread

Visit over no probs with my labels and will get a report on my honey in about 6-8 weeks.

did not comment on mine I have B.B no end on my label lol

How much did you charge them Craig lol

Well as promised I had the results back on christmas eve and all tests came back fine.

Latest posts

Back