Tobacco stalks as smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fahey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 national hives some 14x12 and 2 nucs
I wondered if these would be ok to use in the smoker. I got them from a pigeon racing friend as they use them as nesting material to deter mites.

Tobacco was used in smokers for mite detection, by knocking them down onto sticky boards, the bee appliance companies used to sell it for this purpose. Think it was not too good for the queens though.

Seen lots of pictures videos of old beekeepers smoke pies as they do an inspection.

there is some info on dave chushmans site to using tobacco in smokers but the trial has been discontinued as not good for bees

Tobacco was used in smokers for mite detection, by knocking them down onto sticky boards, the bee appliance companies used to sell it for this purpose. Think it was not too good for the queens though.

My recollection from reading one of Frank Vernon's books was that the tobacco aged the queen.

I have written this before . I witnessed a "test" demo of using tobacco to detect the presence of the then unknown quantity in the the UK, upshot being ,the entire colony was rendered Catamose .
The Germans use a smoker ,less bellows , they deploy the smoke by blowing through a pipe fed through the veil! NB they don't smoke as in a tobacco pie :)
I certainly would not! Recommend tobacco as a smoker fuel . ( think neonicatinoids )
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Varroa that is , sorry no preview or edit with taptalk

I was told by an old beekeeper that if he had a nasty hive he put some tobacco in his smoker and it calmed them more and made it easier to find and kill the queen.
no idea if it works never tried it.

Puff ball is known to sedate bees M
VM

Back