Tobacco smoke

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxnatbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
I am reading Mysteries of Beekeeping Explained by Moses Quimby, published in 1853.

Lots of fun stuff. He comments in passing that "the secret to getting no stings is tobacco smoke". He kept a lot of hives and is credited with inventing the bellows smoker, so I'm going to assume this observation is sound, although it may be more to do with being an experienced beekeeper. However, this got me wondering about whether tobacco is worth using as a smoker fuel.

Searching this forum, I see a few threads mentioning that it is a mild acaricide, but others warning about its toxicity (nicotine). I am pretty sure it is not a normal smoker fuel - well, it's quite expensive. Does anyone know if it is particularly calming for bees, or was it more likely just that for an American in 1853, tobacco was a cheap source of slow burning smoker fuel with no greater calming effect than other fuels?

I have seen videos of old beekeepers using pipes or cigars and no masks, so it obviously helps mask our own smell too.

Thanks in advance for your views...

well with todays duty rate for 'heating' tobacco being £251.60 per kilo, and keeping in mind all the bunkum put out about bees, smoke and the forest fire myth I think I will be giving it a miss

In aus some beeks use tabacco to kill Braula.
My grandad always use to use his pipe to smoke the bees he also never used a vail..
Debatable about different smoker fuels having different effects ie masking your scent
I have a really good supply of lavender and use this souly now.

The only smoker my grandfather ever had was a lit cigarette. As a child in short trousers and him with no veil or gloves we were seldom stung. I recall that if you use too much tobacco smoke the bees will get quite disoriented for a while. I followed his example for a long time using both a pipe and cigarettes.. Nicotine is an insecticide - do some “googling” and decide what's right for your bees.

I am reading Mysteries of Beekeeping Explained by Moses Quimby, published in 1853.

Lots of fun stuff. He comments in passing that "the secret to getting no stings is tobacco smoke". He kept a lot of hives and is credited with inventing the bellows smoker, so I'm going to assume this observation is sound, although it may be more to do with being an experienced beekeeper. However, this got me wondering about whether tobacco is worth using as a smoker fuel.

Searching this forum, I see a few threads mentioning that it is a mild acaricide, but others warning about its toxicity (nicotine). I am pretty sure it is not a normal smoker fuel - well, it's quite expensive. Does anyone know if it is particularly calming for bees, or was it more likely just that for an American in 1853, tobacco was a cheap source of slow burning smoker fuel with no greater calming effect than other fuels?

I have seen videos of old beekeepers using pipes or cigars and no masks, so it obviously helps mask our own smell too.

Before Varroa , the inspectorate demonstrated the use of tobacco in a smoker to detect varroa .
At our club he selected a hive and slid a sheet of paper through the hive entrance .
He placed a measured amount of tobacco in to a small wire cage which he hung in the smoker . He lit the smoker and puffed a good amount of tobacco smoke into the entrance which he duly blocked for 3 or 4 mins .
mins, on opening the hive , the whole colony was in a heap on the floor .
Fortunately, they did recover !
We didn’t find a single mite.
this was pre 1992 !

In the more than honey film, it showed a noted Queen rearer from, I think, Switzerland, a wonderful elderly lady, who did't wear a suit just puffed on an extremely large fat cigar! when dealing with her Queens. I was told cigarettes annoy Bees and makes them stroppy.

In aus some beeks use tabacco to kill Braula.
My grandad always use to use his pipe to smoke the bees he also never used a vail..
Debatable about different smoker fuels having different effects ie masking your scent
I have a really good supply of lavender and use this souly now.
Before Varroa was present in the UK we did on occasion have Braula in our hives. From memory Braula were more of an irritant than a threat to the bees and I can remember adding tobacco to the ashes of my smoker and then smoke the bees reasonably heavily and it killed the braula. Since the arrival of Varroa, the treatments we apply seems to have eradicated Braula as far as I’m aware.

have you tried 'no smoke'.
If you use 2 cover cloths per hive, keeping bees in the dark as you progress across there should be no need. I never understand why people say 'a few puffs in the entrance to let them know you are here' .. where do bees go.. Up.. where do you open ... at top.. hello disturbed bees..

Before Varroa was present in the UK we did on occasion have Braula in our hives. From memory Braula were more of an irritant than a threat to the bees and I can remember adding tobacco to the ashes of my smoker and then smoke the bees reasonably heavily and it killed the braula. Since the arrival of Varroa, the treatments we apply seems to have eradicated Braula as far as I’m aware.
That's what I believe to I've never heard of it being a problem in the UK.
As you said the use of varroa treatments and thymol in general has all but aradicated it.
A treatment I don't like is thymol.. The temps have to be right and if there's fluctuations then it doesn't work properly I'm mainly talking about api life var.
I also don't use thymollated syrup its something I've never used or ever will.

If you use 2 cover cloths per hive, keeping bees in the dark as you progress across there should be no need. I never understand why people say 'a few puffs in the entrance to let them know you are here' .. where do bees go.. Up.. where do you open ... at top.. hello disturbed bees..
I do use a spray bottle and hive cloth but when your going through a big colony smoke does keep them busy for a bit..
Aldepends on what you are doing in the hive.
Smoke in the entrance I can remember being shown that some people still do it untill you explain why it's a bad idea

If you use 2 cover cloths per hive, keeping bees in the dark as you progress across there should be no need.
I seldom use any smoke - don't bother faffing around with cloths either

1853 bees must be more vivid than in these days. Buy calm queens if hives attack on you.

In these days tobacco is really expencive to burn in a smoker.

My beekeeping teacher kept allways pipe im his mouth. He got a lung cancer. And the cancer spreaded to his brain

Tobacco would give a special aroma into the honey.

Braula could be an unwitting aid to the bees . They tend to clean up food from the Queen .
The more we know about bees the more we realise how little we actually know !

Latest posts

Back