Timing: supers vs drawing comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patch_Bod

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello everyone,
First season beekeeper here, my bees are being patient with me.
I have a question about timing and supering.
First of all: how do bees fill supers? From the bottom one going upwards (is this why you put the new, empty super below the one with honey already in it? Or do they prioritise the super that contains uncapped honey wherever that honey is? I’m in Cornwall, good nectar flow right now. Not a huge amount of honey in my supers (I’m hoping to get a bit) but the bees are busy. Not sure how much flow there is left (clover and bramble are out) but hopefully there’s still a few weeks more.
If I put a new super of foundation (no drawn comb) below a drawn super with some honey in it, would that interfere with the honey production above? Could it mean they might not cap it?
Thanks, any insights would be hugely appreciated,
Patch

If there is a good flow and the bees are busy put the undrawn super over the QX
If you think things are slowing put it on top of the existing super.

Thanks for your response...
My question is .. would the empty foundation interfere with honey production?? Or would the bees prioritise finishing filling and capping the honey?

Thanks for your response...
My question is .. would the empty foundation interfere with honey production?? Or would the bees prioritise finishing filling and capping the honey?

They're unlikely to draw comb unless they decide they need it.

James

Latest posts

Back