Thymol recipe against Nosema & fermentation of syrup feed...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it have to be isopropyl alcohol, or could it be gin? I'm not being flippant, I have one but not the other.

Surgical spirit works, available in all chemists I would think. Would not waste the gin

Does it have to be isopropyl alcohol, or could it be gin? I'm not being flippant, I have one but not the other.

I use methylated spirits..(edit and have done since 2010 when I started beekeeping) The bees may not like the taste (I don't know) but it appears to be irrelevant to them eating it..

The idea of using gin is sacrilege.. I'll swap my meths for your gin :paparazzi:

What is "liquid protein diet" reference quote (below) from the Abstract of the Research?

"Supplementation in a liquid protein diet represents a more efficacious route for the incorporation of origanum oils in fifth instar bee larvae targeted for invasion by Varroa destructor mites"

Read material and methods, think it says there, megabee etc?

Seems that it could only have an effect IF the Sugar Syrup fortified with the Oils is added to the Protein (20% by weight of the Pollen Sub. is this fortified Syrup).

From reading it, about 2 1/2 * droplets of each oil would be in 1 kilo of pollen sub., the phrase, "... a final concentration of 0.06% for each of the oil compounds in the treatments" would seem to suggest that this 2 1/2 droplets of Ess. Oil is multiplied by three (Thymol, Origanum oil, and Cinnamon oil), that's about 7.5 droplets of oil.
It would be interesting to try, and is certainly do-able.

* 0.06% of 1000ml is 0.6ml
each ml (very approx.) equals 20 droplets so 0.6ml equals 12 droplets in each litre of Syrup
so each kilo of Pollen sub. will contain 200ml (20%) of this Syrup, so 20% of 12 droplets is 2.4 droplets of each Ess. Oill, there are three oils in total, so that means 7.2 droplets per 1 kilo Pollen sub.
IF anyone thinks I've made a mistake in my calculations then PLEASE say and explain so. Thanks.

Doesn't it say that only 2 oil present, Carvacrol Thymol?

Doesn't it say that only 2 oil present, Carvacrol Thymol?

Carvacrol, from memory, is the active ingredient in Oregano (and also a major component in Thyme?) that seems to hit Varroa, the higher the level of Carvacrol the better the quality - more effective.

My reference to "Thymol, Origanum oil, and Cinnamon oil" is a copy and paste - I wish these studies would be more clear about their Materials and Methods, I had to read this one a few times, still it is lacking somewhat in detail.

Just checked what I have in the garage. Couldn't find IPA. I have acetone and white spirit - will either of those dissolve thymol crystals without causing a problem with the feed?

Do not use those as dissolving agents for thymol.
Spend six squid on fleabay for a litre of propanol/isopropyl alcohol (including postage).

one question i had

'add up to five ml of this per gallon of syrup feed'

I am all for mixing units here ... mph in the car ... metres when measuring the house etc ...but just to confirm

... to metric it all .. 5ml per 4.5litres

... to metric it all .. 5ml per 4.5litres

To confuse you even further...Based roughly on Manley's recipe my dilution is 2.5ml per 5 litres. (Based on 10g of Thymol crystals dissolved in 50 ml of Isopropyl alcohol =2000x stock concentrate).
No mould and no nosema infected colonies in years

Latest posts

Back