Thymol recipe against Nosema & fermentation of syrup feed...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I sat my microscopy exam a few years ago, you are expected to take some live bees, from which to make a slide for Nosema examination. It was full of Nosema spores. The examiner ( Graham Royle) asked if I had expected that as it was the heaviest infestation he has seen for a long time. He in fact asked for a sample so that he could use it for teaching purposes. I replied it was totally enexpected as the bees appeared strong and healthy. He suggested I could spray the thymol recipe over each comb, but I was likely to lose the colony, but As it was later in the year I did not do so. I had plenty of other colonies. The bees came through the winter OK, still strong, and when sampled in spring the Nosema count was very low. I do not know what was going on but the bees obviously handled it themselves.

Our Association apiary had a terrible case of nosema - one nuc in a circle used for Q rearing. We destroyed the colony as they would likely infect all the other hives due to drifting.
In eight seasons of beekeeping (with my own and Assoc. apiary and colonies belonging to others) I have never seen another VISIBLE case.

In essence I am asking: Can this Thymol treatment be used with Fondant (or a sugar block) instead of syrup; with one kilo of sugar provided in Fondant containing the same amount of Thymol as one kilo of sugar in the syrup mix outline by Hivemaker?

I have treated and pulled through a colony with N crane so I have only the one instance to draw from but I would think adding fondant in winter wouldn't work. All the bees have to take in a gut full of thymol which is why you spray them

Dear Mr H Maker, could you tell me have you ever added any essential oils to the recipe ?

(or anyone else for that matter)

Thanks in advance
BB

Thymol - that's an essential oil, why add anything else?

In essence I am asking: Can this Thymol treatment be used with Fondant (or a sugar block) instead of syrup; with one kilo of sugar provided in Fondant containing the same amount of Thymol as one kilo of sugar in the syrup mix outline by Hivemaker?

Doubtful - how are you going to ensure it is mixed in evenly?
You feed them thymol syrup in the autumn so that it is mixed in their stores. no need then to faff around with trying to lace fondant with it.

For all the doubting Thomases;
Thymol (2-isopropyl-5-methylphenol) is the main monoterpene phenol occurring in essential oils isolated from plants belonging to the Lamiaceae family (Thymus, Ocimum, Origanum, and Monarda genera), and other plants such as those belonging to the Verbenaceae, Scrophulariaceae, Ranunculaceae, and Apiaceae families. These essential oils are used in the food industry for their flavouring and preservative properties, in commercial mosquito repellent formulations for their natural repellent effect, in aromatherapy, and in traditional medicine for the treatment of headaches, coughs, and diarrhea. Many different activities of thymol such as antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, local anaesthetic, antinociceptive, cicatrizing, antiseptic, and especially antibacterial and antifungal properties have been shown. This review aims to critically evaluate the available literature regarding the antibacterial and antifungal effects of thymol.

ONLY used to stop the sugar syrup from going moldy.... before someone attempts to prevent its use, licence it and sell for extortionate prices:icon_204-2:

Nos da

I have mixed some thymol into fondant for a colony which had signs of bee poo on the outside of the hive at Xmas. They're slowly eating it so it hasn't put them off at least.

I thought it was worth a go, as there's sweet FA else I can do at this time of year!

I have mixed some thymol into fondant for a colony which had signs of bee poo on the outside of the hive at Xmas. They're slowly eating it so it hasn't put them off at least.

I thought it was worth a go, as there's sweet FA else I can do at this time of year!

How did you do it ?

I have mixed some thymol into fondant for a colony which had signs of bee poo on the outside of the hive at Xmas. r!

My money would be on unprocessed feed fermenting and not Nosema

My money would be on unprocessed feed fermenting and not Nosema

Quite possibly, but nothing to lose by adding thymol to the fondant so I thought I might as well.

Quite possibly, but nothing to lose by adding thymol to the fondant so I thought I might as well.

can you suggest any good shops to buy thymol from?

cheers mark.

Latest posts

Back