Feeding Ambrosia Syrup Jan / Feb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Younger than I look. From Solihull West Midlands
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has any one experimented with feeding Ambrosia Syrup mid winter?

These days with temperatures of 10c to 13c often experienced does this strategy work these days rather than fondant.

General rule is - don't!! Use fondant if they need fed. Although the temperatures are relatively high the question is for how long? Temperatures can go down as rapiddly as they have gone up in the last couple of days. The idea of not feeding liquid at this time of the year is that the bes can't get it dried down to the water levels where fermentation won't occur and present problems for the bees. Dysentry seems to be cited and if it's too cold to fly and cleanse then it can be a disease spreader. Just my two pennyworth.

General rule is - don't!! Use fondant if they need fed. Although the temperatures are relatively high the question is for how long? Temperatures can go down as rapiddly as they have gone up in the last couple of days. The idea of not feeding liquid at this time of the year is that the bes can't get it dried down to the water levels where fermentation won't occur and present problems for the bees. Dysentry seems to be cited and if it's too cold to fly and cleanse then it can be a disease spreader. Just my two pennyworth.
Is Ambrosia's water content or lack of enough to not cause problems. Anyone know?

Is Ambrosia's water content or lack of enough to not cause problems. Anyone know?

Ambrosia is fine at any time of the year - the bees don't need to reduce the water content so it won't ferment and it isn't a dysentery risk and anyway, at this time of the year it's for immediate feeding not storage.
The bigger question mark would be whether they will take it - how are you going to give it to them? if you are going for conventional syrup feeding over the crownboard, the bees may be reluctant to go up there if it's cold, it may be different if everything is well insulated. I have left invert in a feeder on a poly nuc before now and the bees have taken it down by the time spring has arrived. of course, if it is very cold the bees will be reluctant to leave the cluster, whether it's syrup or fondant.

Ambrosia is fine at any time of the year - the bees don't need to reduce the water content so it won't ferment and it isn't a dysentery risk and anyway, at this time of the year it's for immediate feeding not storage.
The bigger question mark would be whether they will take it - how are you going to give it to them? if you are going for conventional syrup feeding over the crownboard, the bees may be reluctant to go up there if it's cold, it may be different if everything is well insulated. I have left invert in a feeder on a poly nuc before now and the bees have taken it down by the time spring has arrived. of course, if it is very cold the bees will be reluctant to leave the cluster, whether it's syrup or fondant.
Thats my take on it and nice to see a confirmation.

The only snag I see is, I got the bees feeding on it in the feeder no problems. But it's wearer they collectively remember it's up there over a few cold days is the question.

Has any one experimented with feeding Ambrosia Syrup mid winter?

These days with temperatures of 10c to 13c often experienced does this strategy work these days rather than fondant.
I always followed the perceived wisdom of not feeding syrup through the winter months until I ended up looking after bees for a lady who fell poorly in the spring. This lady hadn't read the perceived wisdom and had sporadically fed a 2:1 syrup in a four pint feeder on a few occasions from Christmas onwards, not only were her bees healthy, they were far more advanced than mine and all tried swarming before April was out.
This is in our long growing season in north pembs
Spot on.
Location and weather will play a part in whether they'd take syrup too.

Latest posts

Back