This is a weird one - I think...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bontbee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than before
I have had bees in a location near my neighbour's house for six years, but in recent weeks, my neighbour advised me that bees were flying in to her boiler flue and causing the boiler to malfunction/shut off...

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any suggestions as to why this behaviour might suddenly have started happening??

Grateful thanks to anyone who can help:confused:

Swarm made nest in flue - near the top?

My neighbour came over to say there were thousands of bees in his workshop/garage. I quickly went over to investigate, thinking how why what could i have missed a swarm. They were wasps.

Thank you for the replies.

They are definitely bees, from the photos she has supplied.

It wasn't a swarm, but a few dozen bees collecting in the bottom of the flue.

No, apparently not just during rain, jbm - but I'm curious as to why rain might be a factor?

Their plumber says he has investigated whether it is possible to put a mesh over the flue, but says that it would affect the air flow in and out of the boiler so he can't install a protective mesh over the cowl...

Since posting, I have spoken to a plumber I know, and he says it's perfectly normal for moths, daddy long legs, etc, to be sucked into a boiler. He hasn't seen this situation with so many insects before, though!

No, apparently not just during rain, jbm - but I'm curious as to why rain might be a factor?
Condenser boilers arer known to shut off if water is blown back up the flue, it can happen especially with the newer boilers as the flue slopes back towards the boiler - just thought it may be the usual scenario of something happening and a bee seen within a hundred yards of the event and getting blamed.

Latest posts

Back