Thermostat for heated uncapping tray

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Rock

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone know of a simple thermostat that I could easily connect to my heated uncapping tray (it has a kettle style heating element and euro plug) to prevent the honey overheating ?

Thanks

Yep , obtain a simmerstat from an electrical appliance shop (I used one from a scrap cooker) Simple to plant on the back of a standard 3 pin plug, looks neat ,works fine .
VM

Unfortunately when contemplating retiring from beekeeping last year I disposed of said uncapping tray :(
Although a picture paints a thousand words I will try to explain it!
I got hold of a defunct 12V charger ,the type with built in transformer rectifier etc. once I'd split it apart and removed the internal gubbins I was left with a void big enough to accommodate the simmerstat plus a 13 amp fuse, the circuit couldn't be simpler.the plug pins are already in situe. ,connections are live plug pin to fuse ,fuse to simmerstat, simmerstat to brown conductor of kettle lead, blue conductor to neutral plug pin . Finally yellow/green conductor to earth plug pin .
Self contained .
The way the simmerstat works means it doesn't require any thermo couples in contact with the water ! It works by time. ie when fully on it is on and the water will boil, when off it is off ! At all points between, the on/off period ratio dictates the duration of on as opposed to off meaning you can select whatever temperature you wish the bath water to be!
I hope it's clear enough ?
I do know where the uncapping tray is and may be able to borrow back the lead to take some pics !
VM

Could you wire up a STC 1000 and pop the probe into the water . It will then hold the water at the required temp . I am a homebrewer and use one in my fermentation fridge and in my hot liquor tank . Works for hot and cold side . You could use it in a warming cabinet aswell i expect .

Many years ago I used a Tank Stat for an immersion heater, I used a immersion heater as the heat source, it all worked fine.

Could you wire up a STC 1000 and pop the probe into the water . It will then hold the water at the required temp . I am a homebrewer and use one in my fermentation fridge and in my hot liquor tank . Works for hot and cold side . You could use it in a warming cabinet aswell i expect .

Cheap as chips but a long wait if coming via China Post... make sure you order one with a 10A relay rating!

Nos da

Just remember that a simmerstat and thermostat are not the same. The simmerstat simply proportions the power according to the heating/cooling of a bimetallic strip and the different tension (or whatever) in the switching mechanism, whereas a thermostat switches the power at a set temperature.

Both the STC100 and the immersion stat are appropriate options as thermostats, but a simmerstat would likely suffice for the duty envisioned (temperature would vary more, depending on operation/amount of water, etc for any given setting, but when in equilibrium the temperature would obviously be fairly stable).

In the end I bought an off the shelf Inkbird ITC-308 digital thermostat from Amazon, it was more expensive than the cylinder thermostat from Toolstation but can also be used for home brewing. No danger of improperly earthed components, plug and play.

In the end I bought an off the shelf Inkbird ITC-308 digital thermostat from Amazon, it was more expensive than the cylinder thermostat from Toolstation but can also be used for home brewing. No danger of improperly earthed components, plug and play.

As with the STC1000 thermostat.... watch out for the wattage of the heating element..... could draw more than 10A which will weld the relay contacts together... the old Throens type for their Pratley tray was 15A and had to be direct wired into a Cooker outlet!
Remember Grandad nearly setting fire to his house!

I am sure Tracter Man will run us through the equations! P = I V etc

Yeghes da

As with the STC1000 thermostat.... watch out for the wattage of the heating element..... could draw more than 10A which will weld the relay contacts together... the old Throens type for their Pratley tray was 15A and had to be direct wired into a Cooker outlet!

Yeghes da

Behave or you'll get the little men up your arm :)

Yeghes da

Thanks, I've checked the ITC-308 thermostat, it has a 10A relay, will check the heating element before use too.

Cheap as chips but a long wait if coming via China Post... make sure you order one with a 10A relay rating!

STC-1000's are extremely good value for money - I've just ordered another one @ £6 delivered (eventually ...).

If you really want a bargain - checkout the W1209. I've just taken receipt of 3 at £1.49 each. For your £1.49 you get a microprocessor, support circuitry, relay (10A @ 220V), 3-digit display, NTC probe and connectors ... all for a quid and a half. You'd be pretty pushed to buy even the sensor, or just the relay for that price in the UK. Crazy.

Negatives - there's no case and you need to supply a 12v power supply. So - the STC-100 is a lot more convenient for most folks - but - if you just need a QD (Quick 'n' Dirty) ON/OFF temperature controller (with variable hysteresis etc) you'd be pretty pushed to find anything else for little more than the cost of a UK 1st Class (Large) stamp - currently 96p I believe (haven't bought a stamp in ages).
LJ

Latest posts

Back