The Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trudging for food and milk

Cows had to be milked after thawing out the cowshed first.

and walking to school.

School was eight miles away by school bus. Stuck in a drift for three hours on the first day back after school hols (late getting home). Never went that route for at least the next month.

Looking at the snow outside today, feeling the bitter east wind and remembering 1963 I have come to the conclusion that nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

We built a snow (ice) castle with an arch in the playground. It started off as a big drift by the headmasters garage. Also half the playground stripped of snow as well to build the rest of it. Well we couldn't play marbles or football.
Playground on a slight hill we had 2 monster slides.
At home may have had a toilet inside by then, but only just I think.

Cows had to be milked after thawing out the cowshed first.

I don't recall anything much of what went on outside. Which makes me think we were still milking in the cowshed.
I imagine the new tractor would come to make silage for the new yard/parlour/self feed silage pit set up, later on in 63. That would be when I started tractor driving the following winter, feeding up. I do remember having to drain vacum lines etc in the parlour. Thawing the pipe for the cows drinking trough. It was a big trough but boy could they get through some water.

I remember drifts as big as me down at the riding stables by "Robins" stable door (a 12.2 pony I used to ride).

Yes it was a very interesting program, i was there but do not remember much about it as i was only 2 years old at the time, the two things struck me were, firstly the fact we do not seemed to have learned much in terms of dealing with extreme weather events, presumably because they used to occur so infrequently it was not cost effective to plan and invest large sums of money for such rear events, secondly in the following piece by chris packham where he states that half of uk bird population had died ! due to the severe weather but within five years had regained and even surpassed it previous level ! just shows how quick nature recovers from disasters.

in 1963, i was the only one in school...my mother was the headmistress and we lived in the school house..no one else turned up, but my mother still gave me lessons but only in the mornings

i remember finding a double deck bus on the road to Dunstable and being able to climb up on the roof by using the snow drifts...saw my first helicopter drop bread to a village on the Downs and our village being delivery bread by the army by tractor across the fields as the !:6 hills to the village were impassable

Last edited:
in 1963, i was the only one in school...my mother was the headmistress and we lived in the school house..no one else turned up, but my mother still gave me lessons but only in the mornings

i remember finding a double deck bus on the road to Dunstable and being able to climb up on the roof by using the snow drifts...saw my first helicopter drop bread to a village on the Downs and our village being delivery bread by the army by tractor across the fields as the !:6 hills to the village were impassable

Which school?

What village?

Which school?

What village?

I lived in various schools, i remember first the old CoE School at Caddington then by 1963 Studham CoE, Bedfordshire,and if i remember correctly the school had bee bolls in the wall . I then moved to Pepperstock near Markyate. I think all the schools except Studham have now gone

The helicopter was taking food from Eaton Bray towards Ivanhoe

Last edited:
Tuesday night's 10cm of snow had just about melted by dusk yesterday but we woke up today to another 12cm of the white stuff.:ohthedrama:

Not as bad as parts of the UK but unseasonably early for this part of SW France. A hive weigh was scheduled for today (every 14 days until February then weekly) but obviously postponed.

1963 was bliss for us kids, walking to school took forever 3 miles away, worst thing was no inside toliet brrrrrrrr

I just went out to heft the hives and noticed all the snow has melted off the roof of my 14x12 pains polyhive but still have thick snow on top of my cedar well insulated commercial. Makes you wonder

1963 was bliss for us kids, walking to school took forever 3 miles away, worst thing was no inside toliet brrrrrrrr

We had outside toilets also, I can just about remember being sent home because they were frozen. We lived in hope every winter of it happening again, it never did!

Latest posts

Back