Tesco Willow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Called into my local Tesco the other day. They are selling Willows for £7. Can't remember what type. It has small pink buds.

it's a grafted type, usually 'kilmarnock wilow'

you're better of with common willow, weeping willow or twisted willow for early pollen source for bees.
;)

Ah right. Cheers Tony. Do you know what type of hedges they have on the perimeter of their garden at applebee orchard? Wouldn't mind putting some where I'm puing my hives.

Cough...

Find an early willow.

Cut a bit off.

Put in water.

See roots and plant.

Sorted.

Knew a guy who cut a willow into bits for strainer posts............ imagine....

Canna? Ok has very nice willow trees at each corner of the field..... lol

PH

Ah right. Cheers Tony. Do you know what type of hedges they have on the perimeter of their garden at applebee orchard? Wouldn't mind putting some where I'm puing my hives.

they are espaliered apples, Simon.

a willow section about 7" long with one or two buds above ground and the rest below WILL ROOT if plated the same way it was growing orginaly.

find and willow tree and what we are looking for is branchs from roughlt pencil size to say fore arm size all will root

a willow section about 7" long with one or two buds above ground and the rest below WILL ROOT if plated the same way it was growing orginaly.

find and willow tree and what we are looking for is branchs from roughlt pencil size to say fore arm size all will root

:iagree:

They root really easy. £7? , Tesco are havin' a laugh.

Fair enough tony, what and why are they grafted to? As you say, common willow are generally better.

If you do want a pretty one, buy and take cuttings.

Thanks Tony.

Funnily enough, my wife had one from a garden centre, I planted it a couple of years ago, and totally forgot about it.

last time iwant some willow i went of down the canal with a bucket and some snips and came back with hundreds, and all for free

Have been doing just that over the last few weeks collected about 130 eight foot long two year old willow canes whilst walking to the van in the morning and walking the dog in the evening. They are for a living fence I am constructing to enclose a small apiary.

The great thing is if I don’t use them all I will let them dry out and they will support my beans this and a few years to come.

Have also been pulling up Hazel suckers from around the base of coppiced trees and transplanting them at two allotment sites I am connected with, it’s a shame that most allotments have no willow or hazel trees.

I've done this loads of times and works with ash, Holly, and Haze but most easily with willow. May work with others but I haven't tried those.*

Clean cut a length about the length of your forearm from a tree. Choose bits with buds on. Cut at an angle. Creates a slightly larger surface area. Put straight into a bucket of rain water and leave for a week (in the case of willow, *3 weeks for Hazel, ash longer for Holly). Take out and the sharp point you cut - just push that into the ground where you want a willow tree. It's that simple. Most will take (grow).*

If you have a shrub called box, and you want a box hedge, every time you get out the sneers to shape it, stick any off cuts where you want your hedge. Just push them into the ground with no delay and no fuss. Soak with rain water. Go away. Again most of these will take. Once pulled A box hedge up. Landscaped the garden which took about 2 months doing it around work. Decided to burn off the clearings. The box that was sitting greenery down roots up, had grown roots up into the air and then down and was attempting to right itself.*

But listen to this lot - willow like mint and bamboo - plant once - keep in check with a flame thrower.*

another tip,
to make a great rooting liquid, soak willow in a bucket of rain water 'till it roots, discard (or use) the willow.
evaporate the liquid ( In greenhouse)
the resultant thick liquid is an excellent rooting aid. just dip your cuttings in it before planting.

I have a meadow that has a small spring in one corner and the ground stays damp all year round.
It sounds like a good place to plant a large growing willow, or smaller willows, but which type give the most early pollen that honey bees would be interested in....?

Brian

Brilliant. Thanks. We have a huge willow in my dads garden. I'll take some cuttings from that.

Have been doing just that over the last few weeks collected about 130 eight foot long two year old willow canes whilst walking to the van in the morning and walking the dog in the evening. They are for a living fence I am constructing to enclose a small apiary.

This is kind of what I want to use willow for. Either willow or Espalier apples. Not sure how to go about doing it though. I'm now much of a gardner

Latest posts

Back