Losing a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyranah

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Losing a hive quickly, bee numbers are reducing quickly every day I’m down to a small handful of bees and a queen

My other hive is super strong but can’t understand why I’m losing this one so quickly

Could be for several reasons, you don't give much info. However, as you are down to such small numbers, if its not already too late get them into a poly nuc with some stores pronto and pray.

Thank you - that’s the action I have taken, been in there a week but shrinking quickly - hoping 🤞

Reasons can vary
Poor queen laying .
Winter bees not reared in later Autumn.
Varroa.
Virus.

It probable she simply hadn't laid up enough winter bees, it is only an assumption. The dieing off being seen now are the old Autumn bees who have finally come to the end .

We have otherwise no other info to go on.

Last edited:
is there any fresh brood at all? many dead in/around the hive? you don't even mention that - looks like another classic spring dwindle without any more specific information, or even the final throes of Nosema Ceranae with the queen going off lay and foragers going out in the morning and forgetting where the hive is on attempting to return

what isn't?
My snarky dumb response. #edit to the original post (just to make it clear (good grief)) #edit

Shouldn't the advice here be, very little you can do and doing something is unlikely to save them if they are that small and how do you even know this sort of detail about the size of the cluster at this time of year? Repeatedly opening the box and. worse still, lifting frames will be detrimental
You want to do something to help but leave them alone and do a post-mortem later.

Put them on top of another colony to keep them warm? Maybe?

Last edited:
Shouldn't the advice here be, very little you can do and doing something is unlikely to save them if they are that small and how do you even know this sort of detail about the size of the cluster at this time of year? Repeatedly opening the box and. worse still, lifting frames will be detrimental
my feelings as well - why open up every five minutes, especially as, at this time of year, there isn't much you can do.

Apologies, newbie on here not putting enough detail

Hive has plenty of stores available and fondant- bees are laid in the bottom of the hive, I transferred them into a poly nuc about 3 weeks ago to try and help

The hive I took them out of had a lot of dark brown tar like substance all over the place

I have looked at the entrance of the nuc this morning and the same residue is at the entrance

There is about half a frame of bees left

Attachments

• IMG_2495.jpeg
    IMG_2495.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Nosema Apis, to be blunt, with what you have told us I think it's a lost cause, the only thing that May sort them (desperate long shot) would be to spray them with a weak solution of thymolised syrup.

Last edited:
thank you everyone for helping, I have to agree it’s about gone but I will take your advice and try -

Any advice on what to do with the hive so I can reuse this year?

I have just burned all the frames I took out

Any advice on what to do with the hive so I can reuse this year?
clean it, with the poly it just needs a good soaking in hypochlorite solution and a scrub - with a wooden hive, just scorch it.

I have a similar issue. What's the recipe for thymol syrup?

Latest posts

Back