tentative sign of spring?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Noticed a few weeks ago that there was serious nest building going on in the robin nest box fixed between the back of the chickenarium and the hedge.
Had a peek as I was feeding the hens this afternoon and half a dozen eggs!fb.jpgfb2.jpg

Up near the summit apiary a week ago
Lucky you! When we moved to this village 23 years ago there was frogspawn in every field pond - but none for many years. We had occasional hedgehogs and grass snakes in the garden - again none for years. What has happened? - there has been no major visible change in the village infrastructure/population/agriculture etc - except now three beekeepers with c.20hives......
Deduction: bees eat frogspawn:unsure:

IMG_2761.jpeg
Could this mean spring is almost here?
Hopefully, as I’ve 25 hives within about a mile of this field!!!!!

Loads of frog spawn in our pond but think the ducks may have eaten it.There are loads of frogs or toads in my poly tunnel hopefully they are eating any slugs.

View attachment 39148
Could this mean spring is almost here?
Hopefully, as I’ve 25 hives within about a mile of this field!!!!!
Looking at my records I had a swarm the end of April because of the nice flower above 😂 four weeks later 5 one buckfast from somewhere else.
All the joys it will soon be here I hope folk are ready.

Ooh I never think spring is here until Easter comes and goes as we've had late snow before now. A couple of years ago I had tomatoes, chillies, peppers etc started in the greenhouse and had to put a heat mat in and make a fleece tent to stop everything keeling over from the cold.

Collared Doves were collecting nesting material weeks ago. Magpies tried as well but I succeeded in getting rid of those.

Ring-necked parakeets nesting here in local Surrey parks.
One (among many) blessings of leaving the London suburbs and moving to Wales
I remember In the late 70s Bushy and Richmond parks being resplendent with native songbirds and raptors. On my rare visits down that way it’s all changed.
Now hole nesting birds are ousted and a there is a constant cacophony drowning everything out.

I remember In the late 70s Bushy and Richmond parks being resplendent with native songbirds and raptors. On my rare visits down that way it’s all changed.
Now hole nesting birds are ousted and a there is a constant cacophony drowning everything out.
Allegedly not released into the wild by Jimi Hendrix, or during the filming of The African Queen.
UK Sightings date back to 1859.

Allegedly not released into the wild by Jimi Hendrix, or during the filming of The African Queen.
UK Sightings date back to 1859.
probably why there was a parakeet pie recipe in Mrs. Beeton's receipt book

Should have put the traps out in the Spring to catch the queens……..Oh, sorry, it put me in mind of something else. Doh!

Latest posts

Back