Swarm Help Please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerset

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello all,
This is an urgent request please! We've been reading up on beekeeping for a few months with the plan to set up a hive next year; however, last night a swarm decided to join us in our field and settled at the base of the field hedge behind sheep netting wire.
Due to the appalling weather we managed to get a large steel bucket over the swarm which is about the size of a basketball, to ensure the bees were kept dry and hopefully warm. Checking them this morning, they've not moved and seem quite content (it's still damp and drizzling here). They can get out from under the bucket if they want to but seem happy.
We'd love to keep the swarm but having decided to set up next year haven't any equipment at all and very basic book-gleaned knowledge.
Would be very grateful for your advice as to how to move the bees from a difficult to get to hedge; once moved, what do they need to be put in and hopefully if they decide to stay, the best way to deal with them.
Many thanks in advance!

Hi again,

Apologies for the urgency of my first thread but thought I need to act quickly to save the bees.
As an intro; we're in West Somerset and are very lucky to have a smallholding with a flock commercial sheep and some rare breeds; we have various pets and what we think is a great lifestyle; we also run an animal care company (no bees on the books though ...... yet!).

I hope to make good use of the forum once we have some bees and hopefully help someone along the way too!

Thanks,

have you tried contacting local BKA swarm liaison officer????

i'm sure the promise of a new member and a token of appreciation they could sort out temporary homing for you.

Go to the website for Somerset Bee Keepers Association and call the nearest swarm officer for assistance (loads on the website). Could be a good way to get to meet the local Bee Keepers too.

Good luck!

Hi. Welcome to the forum. I have absolutely no experience of collecting swarms but a couple of points jump to mind.

First if you have absolutely no equipment I assume that also means you don't have bee suits.

Secondly You won't have a hive of any sort to put the bees into.

To me your best bet is to find your local bee keepers association and ask for help. Explaining the situation. Some kind soul will help you out and probably be able to guide you along until you get your first colony. In my rather inexperience opinion these bees need hived either in somebody else's hive with an arrangement to get a swarm from the local association when you are ready or in a borrowed hive with a local bee keeper as mentor.

Somebody with more experience will be along soon to give a better answer.

Thanks for all the above replies, didn't expect so many so quickly!

I've contacted the local beekeepers group and found a local beekeeper that'll help. Many thanks indeed.

Well don Iain! You got on here quickly! Let us know how you get on please,
They are a great hobby and marvellous to watch, you're lucky that you can have them close to you, not all of us are so lucky to have the space.
I think you should take photos too.

A bit late but here goes:

Sheet on the ground - dump/scrape them (all of them from where they're hanging) into cardboard box - turn it upside down (with the bees in it!) on sheet and prop one corner with wood/brick for them to get in - ring someone and ask if they would like them .... :) Cardboard box is OVER the bees - don't expect them to do the 'walk'.

Do it now if they're still there - there's still some light.

Oh, scratch the inside top corner of the box so they get some grip to hang from.

BOL

Oh well, next time...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back