Super Warming Cabinet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Millet, you're wasted as a steel monkey if everything you design never needs adjusting or improvement ;)

I used reinforced drawer sliders and they worked well. Obviously you've got to account for the potential weight they're carrying.
After one messy incident I started using square gravel trays with the supers Sat on 2x3 to allow air flow.
The whole wooden carcass inside is very easily dismantled so could redesign to include some trays underneath the wood.

Do you think the airflow from underneath would be too restricted if they sat right on top, even with the 3 x 2?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The whole wooden carcass inside is very easily dismantled so could redesign to include some trays underneath the wood.

Do you think the airflow from underneath would be too restricted if they sat right on top, even with the 3 x 2?

Quite possibly. I would love to have warm air blowing up through the supers but it would take a better man than me (Millet perhaps?) to invent something to do that and not end up covered in honey.

I do like the look of those dollies. Could be very useful for moving super stacks.

Quite possibly. I would love to have warm air blowing up through the supers but it would take a better man than me (Millet perhaps?) to invent something to do that and not end up covered in honey.

I do like the look of those dollies. Could be very useful for moving super stacks.
I suppose air flow through the supers will speed it up, but it's not a prerequisite?

I think I might get 3 dollies and attach the trays to the top.

Shame they are only 450mm square. a 600mm variant would make it far easier in my set up

I suppose air flow through the supers will speed it up, but it's not a prerequisite?

I think I might get 3 dollies and attach the trays to the top.

Shame they are only 450mm square. a 600mm variant would make it far easier in my set up

I'm going to try a series of overhead fans when I get a spare minute. Forcing the warmer air down through the supers as a compromise. Maybe even an eke with a bathroom type extractor fan that pulls in warm air at the top and forces it into the stack? Possibly overkill ;)

I'm going to try a series of overhead fans when I get a spare minute. Forcing the warmer air down through the supers as a compromise. Maybe even an eke with a bathroom type extractor fan that pulls in warm air at the top and forces it into the stack? Possibly overkill ;)
I could rejig these fans if required.

They certainly move it around.

https://youtu.be/LncXPh8mUY0

We like overkill!

What's that supposed to mean?

It means you have done a cracking job and i salute you.. but me thinks you are advancing a bit to quick too early but only you can be the judge of that..
You need to be a good problem solver when building projects like that and be able to improvise adapt and overcome without asking advice..that is when you are ready imo..
Again cracking job and the best of luck with your venture..;)

It means you have done a cracking job and i salute you.. but me thinks you are advancing a bit to quick too early but only you can be the judge of that..

You need to be a good problem solver when building projects like that and be able to improvise adapt and overcome without asking advice..that is when you are ready imo..

Again cracking job and the best of luck with your venture..;)
I didn't ask for advice.

I said 'advice always welcome', which it is...

I'm not one to say my design is better than someone else's and am always looking for ways to improve design or performance in everything that I do. Hence, advice always welcome...

With the greatest respect to you, I am a chartered project manager and a chartered civil engineer, so I'm not too bad at solving problems.

I am a project manager on a nuclear decommissioning project that aims to safely store radioactive waste by designing submersible robots that enter inhospitable environments and sort through radioactive material, before containing the active effluent within 2 inch thick steel boxes that are contained within cementitious grouts that are over a metre thick.

The super warmer cabinet is an insulated box, in a log cabin with a tube heater and a thermostat. Its built to be dismantled and could hardly be any more simple. Everything is screwed and nothing is glued.

Its hardly rocket science and doesnt need a 3 phase design assurance process to be approved prior to commencing construction.

I've bought a gravel tray that sits on the runners and the supers just glide along them - 'problem' solved. Took all of 2 mins. Should I have sent the design plans to the forum for democratic approval before I set foot in screwfix?

Sorry to go off on one, but that's such an annoying thing to say!

Hi lal5000, been following your thread with interest as im impressed with the amount of work you have put in, looks like a proper job.

have you though about using dishwasher trollies for stacking and loading the warming cabinet, as they can be washed down after use and are 500x500mm size frames.

s8107.jpg

https://www.contacto.de/ftpport/pics/product/serien/f50/s8107.jpg

Shelfspan_776706_7_Tier_Dishwasher_Basket_Racking_Trolley_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.advantage-catering-equipment.co.uk/products/shelfspan-776706-7-tier-dishwasher-basket-racking-trolley

Hi lal5000, been following your thread with interest as im impressed with the amount of work you have put in, looks like a proper job.

have you though about using dishwasher trollies for stacking and loading the warming cabinet, as they can be washed down after use and are 500x500mm size frames.

s8107.jpg

https://www.contacto.de/ftpport/pics/product/serien/f50/s8107.jpg

Shelfspan_776706_7_Tier_Dishwasher_Basket_Racking_Trolley_1024x1024.jpg

https://www.advantage-catering-equi...6706-7-tier-dishwasher-basket-racking-trolley
Hi,

That's a very neat idea indeed.

My only concern could be that you may lose a bit space between the supers, but maybe that could also be a positive.

I'm going to run it this year with the gravel trays and wooden batons and see how it performs and then make any tweaks, if necessary

Couldn't resist a bit of artwork...
126e4be94dd009a46347728009200aae.jpg
8792f1f55b9d4311fa7f8dcef7c9ad8c.jpg

The cell two up from the bottom, two in from the left. Is the pollen stored in there Poppy by ant chance.

No, too hard with the sander :biggrinjester:
It was actually a blow torch on pine, for the freshly toasted effect! :)

Latest posts

Back