Suitable Garden?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've obviously not read my posts on other threads about the likelihood of anyone succeeding in an action against a beekeeper for stings. There has to be negligence on the part of the beek. Keeping bees that sting someone is not negligent per se. It needs the beek to have done something, such as carelessly knocking the hive over with his car. That said, I'm awaiting the details, and the outcome, of the case in Northern Ireland mentioned by Teemore.

I spend my professional life assessing the foreseeability of actions and incidents that have lead to injury. The risk of a hive becoming angered and attacking all in the vicinity is low on the scale, although, as those posters who've suffered have pointed out, it can happen. Site the hive so that the bees' flight path does not cross your or your neighbours' areas of activity. Try to ensure that the bees fly up as soon as they leave the hive. And as RAB says, consider the risk of the hive becoming angry, and have a contingency plan.

Wherever the hive is situated, be it in a garden, on an allotment or in the country, there is always some degree of risk to someone. There were threads earlier this year about hives that were moved to fields of osr attacking passing cyclists and ramblers.

You know your garden and your neighbourhood. You, and the members of the local association, are best placed to make a decision on whether your garden is suitable.
Why should you assume that?
It's precisely the fact that people can/often do get away with their actions ( whatever those actions are ) and these actions are often thrust inconsiderately upon others.
I couldn't live with people being stung all around just because I'm not being negligent. I'd imagine a few swarms depositing themselves ( new beek ) and this can be a pain in the a$$ to some, never mind being stung.
When evaluating, everything must surely point to a quiet place, out of the way.
Yes people can be stung out in the countryside but far less likely than an urban situation.

Bizarrely sensitive topic.

Surely keeping bees in your garden it entirely up to you? There really isn't a moral high ground here.

Every year over 200,000 people are attacked by dogs, anyone here suggesting dogs shouldn't be allowed in back gardens?

Cats infect over 300,000 people with toxoplasmosis in some cases this causes blindness in babies. Anyone suggesting people shouldn't keep cats?

A sense of perspective is handy.

Surely keeping bees in your garden it entirely up to you? There really isn't a moral high ground here.

Every year over 200,000 people are attacked by dogs, anyone here suggesting dogs shouldn't be allowed in back gardens?

Cats infect over 300,000 people with toxoplasmosis in some cases this causes blindness in babies. Anyone suggesting people shouldn't keep cats?

:iagree:

Don't forget humans ... the most lethal animal of them all.:D

Should beginners keep bees in gardens?

I don't keep bees in my garden anymore because I had problems, but I was a beginner then. Try as a might I couldn't stop them swarming. They were defensive and following, but because I loved them so much and knew no better, I thought it normal.

Sometimes as a beginner you don't really know your bees are over defensive. The bee inspector came one day to check them and they followed him down my 200ft garden, through the house, through the front garden and out to his car. He told me I was keeping some of the most unpleasant bees he had ever come across.

I think it is ok for experienced capable to keep bees in small gardens or even on balconies, even in the middle of a city. If you are experienced you know when they have to be moved quickly. This is beginning to feel like another arguement for the importance of proper training including a year of proper hands on mentoring before you get bees.

I think that is a really good way of putting it into perspective.

I've owned dogs all my life and would say I am a responsible dog owner so have never had a problem with my German Shepherd attacking anyone.

It is probably the same keeping bees. At the moment I am a total novice with no experince so I have decided to take up the hobby but will source a location better suited for a novice but once I feel I'm a responsible bee keeper I might consider having them in my garden.

I've put my name down for 6 allottment sights and found a couple of good possible locations.
I'm also about to sign up to a local club and for a winter beekeeping course

Sensible approach.

Thinking on it I have had bees in the garden at three different houses, and each time it has gone pearshaped. Twice not that badly just neighbours who were uncomfortable, and so off they went to the out apiary, and once when it was very serious.

PH

I've put my name down for 6 allottment sights and found a couple of good possible locations.

I keep bees on an allotment plot. That can have similar problems too, and I needed to get permission to have the bees there in the first place.

Mercifully at present everyone on the plot is more than happy with the bees - they say their crop yields have increased and are very keen to buy the honey.

Where you site them and precautions you take ( screening etc ) are important.

Enjoy the course - your view may change after it! Enjoy your bees.

Statutory nuisances, legal position-
If mediation doesn't work then local authorities have some powers regarding certain types of nuisances. If you complain to the local authority about one of these nuisances the local authority must investigate, and if necessary serve an abatement notice. Again, there's no definite list of matters that they'll get involved in.

Generally, however, they get involved in matters that are:

prejudicial to people's health
interfere with a legitimate use of land

nuff said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took on board the advice and decided to wait untill I got an allotment before looking into beekeeping.
Well I've got my allotment, joined a club,completed a weekend course and now have a hive of hard working bees sat on my allotment.

Thanks for putting me on the right path..

I took on board the advice and decided to wait untill I got an allotment before looking into beekeeping.
Well I've got my allotment, joined a club,completed a weekend course and now have a hive of hard working bees sat on my allotment.

Thanks for putting me on the right path..

Excellent news ... and now the fun begins !! Welcome back ...

To undertake a "risky"activity where you are the one at risk is one thing, to then involve unwary others is a different matter.

Driving a car is a risk: Keeping bees is a risk. Crossing the road is a risk. Boarding a bus is a risk. Abseiling is a risk. Walking on a moor is a risk: mountain walking is a different risk. Join your local BKA and learn about the risks, then do what you can to minimize them. It is impossible to say on here if your garden is suitable.
Given its size the described layout and the way your family use it the impression is that it may be the wrong location for bees. DO follow the advice to invite an experienced local beekeeper to come and have a look and give an opinion.
Bees can approach the hive from any direction depending on where they are foraging unless there is something in the way to stop them. Putting the back of the hive towards an area that is used by the family is no guarantee that they will not find themselves in the flight path. Trees and shrubs can be a help in that they pose an obstacle to be avoided on the way in and out of the hive. One of my hives is in the middle of a small shrubbery with two main flight paths that force the bees upward before they leave my garden. The other beside a hedge with a shrub in front of it and a bench in front of that, the bees approach from one side and the back.
You will get stung if you keep bees. That is a risk you take. You will make mistakes that is probably why you will get stung.
I personally don't like smoking bees, though I did it when I first started. It chokes me so I think it cant be doing the bees much good. But that is just my opinion. Ask a room full of beekeepers a question and you will get a room full of answers: in the end the decision is yours. The area beekeeping inspector might be a useful person to ask to have a look and give some friendly advice. Your local BKI. is listed on Beebase. on the net.

Last edited:
I personally don't like smoking bees,
Funnily enough I've tried most things, dried grass (the meadow kind) oak leaves tea leaves and tobacco - but never bees. - do you dry them first or put them in your pipe still kicking?

Funnily enough I've tried most things, dried grass (the meadow kind) oak leaves tea leaves and tobacco - but never bees. - do you dry them first or put them in your pipe still kicking?

I didn't like cigarettes, but I have always been interested in bees though not in a pipe.
I am trying water spray, not very successful the first time, and sugaring with powdered sugar. Not surprised at the water results really. If someone lifted the roof off my house and took the contents of the larder I would probably be after them with my walking stick.:laughing-smiley-004

I don't think you need a huge space, just somewhere the bees will be out of the way. You need to consider neighbours and when siting the hive the direction of the flight path ( will this lead directly into next door's barbecue area for example). I have the entrance to my hive pointing towards a fence which forces them up, this then opens up to woods and fields and no neighbours. And you don't want them in full sun all day, dappled shade is best. Some people situate hives on top of flat roofs (garages etc) so don't be put off thinking you need a small football pitch, they'll go anywhere as long as they are not a nuisance to other people.

When I first got my bees I kept them just outside the garden behind a fence. They were ok when it was just one hive but you always end up with more than one and they began to ping my husband and boys.
I an lucky enough to have a few fields so I was able to move them. I would not put a hive were there are near neighbours.
It will always be one of "your" bees if someone gets stung.

Latest posts

Back