sugar feed for drawing foundation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
whats the best sugar to water ratio for helping draw foundation , i have been told 1:1 and 2:1 so which one .......

there are two recipes - either 1 lb to one pint, or 1 kilo to one litre. it doesn't have to be exact anyway (doubt the bees would check) 2:1 would do, but is usually used more for autumn stores.

I think I've just opened a honey pot for pedants here!

I am metric so I do 1kg to 1 litre as it happens that 1litre of water ways just that!

there are two recipes - either 1 lb to one pint, or 1 kilo to one litre. it doesn't have to be exact anyway (doubt the bees would check) 2:1 would do, but is usually used more for autumn stores.

I think I've just opened a honey pot for pedants here!

Perhaps I am being pedantic in your eyes but I am pretty certain that beginners will be confused as to the ratios, metric or imperial, for heavy or light syrup. It is kinder to be specific if you please.

Perhaps I am being pedantic in your eyes but I am pretty certain that beginners will be confused as to the ratios,

Okay, just to make sure of no ambiguity
either 1 lb (sugar - white,refined, granulated or caster) to one pint (water - tap, spring,well or bottled, any temperature between 0 and 100 degrees), or 1 kilo (sugar - white,refined, granulated or caster) to one litre (water - tap, spring,well or bottled, any temperature between 0 and 100 degrees).

I will specify the recipe for 2:1 syrup in a separate thread if requested - to avoid confusion :D

This syrup - roughly at 50% concentration which is most easily assimilated by the bees. Syrup in. Wax out.

Okay, just to make sure of no ambiguity
either 1 lb (sugar - white,refined, granulated or caster) to one pint (water - tap, spring,well or bottled, any temperature between 0 and 100 degrees), or 1 kilo (sugar - white,refined, granulated or caster) to one litre (water - tap, spring,well or bottled, any temperature between 0 and 100 degrees).

I will specify the recipe for 2:1 syrup in a separate thread if requested - to avoid confusion :D

In what direction do I stir it?

Clockwise if in the Northern Hemisphere or anti clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. If you are on the equator you need to use a figure of 8 stirring motion.

Clockwise if in the Northern Hemisphere or anti clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. If you are on the equator you need to use a figure of 8 stirring motion.

Alternatively you could try completely the opposite direction, but whatever you do you should use a very large wooden spoon.

Back