Sublimox, inverter and battery.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it quite disappointing that a piece of £300+ equipment needs another outlay in expense (£70) to make it work. Not forgetting the price of a charger for the other piece of kit if you don't have one already. For 300 quid I'd expect an on/off switch. ;)
With a suitable size battery and inverter (that's another £40) attached you would need one person to carry the box and another to switch it on and off ....

ive got a lot to learn about vaping hives, we have 1 it really needs doing but have no kit yet.

i can give some input on powerign things tho, Wet lead acid batterys are very poor batterys for this sort of application, your typical car battery won't tolerate it at all they are good for literally 10 full cycels and they are done, as batterys go they are cheep and can suply massive currents but they realy are for float applications. gell batterys are better but more costly, leasure batterys stand cyceling better but strugel to supply current for prolonged time. really the only type of wet lead acid battery thats any good for the application is a traction battery and they are expensive.

persoannly i would not recomend useing any wet lead acid battery for mobile power. or if you are forced to try and keep invereters out of the equation they may be quite efficent but your starting off with very littel stored energy so any inefficency is intolerable.

out of intrest how much power dose an OAV use ? on top of it i would have thought its worth developing a solution to use a common l-ion cordless power tool battery, they are light, have a much better energy density, have another use and charge fast. my old makita baterys charge 54WH in 20 minutes the newer ones 108 wh in 40 2 of them is 216 WH theoretical max say punching them with a heavy load if actualy get 150 wh out of them usefully i would have thought they would power a heater for a few hundred watts reasonably

Out of intrest how much power dose an OAV use ? on top of it i would have thought its worth developing a solution to use a common l-ion cordless power tool battery, they are light, have a much better energy density, have another use and charge fast. my old makita baterys charge 54WH in 20 minutes the newer ones 108 wh in 40 2 of them is 216 WH theoretical max say punching them with a heavy load if actualy get 150 wh out of them usefully i would have thought they would power a heater for a few hundred watts reasonably

That's an interesting idea .. I have a pan sublimator and a few cordless batteries ... I'll check and see if they will do the job.

I find it quite disappointing that a piece of £300+ equipment needs another outlay in expense (£70) to make it work. Not forgetting the price of a charger for the other piece of kit if you don't have one already. For 300 quid I'd expect an on/off switch. ;)
If you only had a few to do, I made a vapouriser for use with a battery for less than a fiver. I used a 12v mug water heater with a 15mm compression end stop which screwed into the element. I ran 2 did the job for a few years before getting something more substantial..

a 12V 7Ah battery is 84Wh energy capacity - not all of which us available - unless you want to send your batteries to an early grave. Say 30% discharged only - that means only 30Wh is a sensibly usable.

If your heater uses 300W (doubtful as the varrox was only about 150W) would mean one fully charged battery (in ‘as new’ condition) would last just 6 minutes before needing to be recharged.

Just some simple physics - and simple maths to calculate it out. Does that help you make a decision?

The answer is no, if you want your batteries to last. Incidentally, automotive batteries (this includes motorcycles) are not manufactured to be discharged to any great extent as they will only last a very limited number of ‘full discharge cycle equivalents’. They are normally returned to full charge soon after operating the starter motor and power for ancillaries is derived from the automotive generator while the engine is running.

I think you need to investigate the power consumption/supply, as well as just the sublimox (and more about the sublimox than just source and price)

Sublimox is 300w but switches and on around 50% of the time. I use either a 2800w gen or victron inverter below, I cant stand poor products which ruin a day.

Victron Phoenix Pure Sine Wave Inverter - 12V 500W (VE.Direct-enabled)

combined with a trojan battery below, I can run the sublimox for a few hours easily

24TMX Trojan Battery Deep Cycle 12v 85Ah - Trojan Batteries Online

I find the sublimox a load of hassle with cables, generator or above, gasvap is excellent if well set up, used on low and the new Taylor torch, most problems occur as running too hot. I have recently bought a massive stainless Turkish vap which runs on a big bottle of gas and a large torch, heavy but really really quick, makes the sublimox as slow as the old Varrox.

I find it quite disappointing that a piece of £300+ equipment needs another outlay in expense (£70) to make it work. Not forgetting the price of a charger for the other piece of kit if you don't have one already. For 300 quid I'd expect an on/off switch.

Here you go: :)

Varrox EDDY - Mobile Battery Powered Vaporiser - Varroa Oxalic Acid Treatment | eBay

No idea if these are any good or not, and my hives are next to my house so I don't have to find out, but anyway.

Here you go: :)

Varrox EDDY - Mobile Battery Powered Vaporiser - Varroa Oxalic Acid Treatment | eBay

No idea if these are any good or not, and my hives are next to my house so I don't have to find out, but anyway.

I reviewed one on my channel.

It works really well, gets 10-15 vapes per charge and means you can switch it on and walk 40m away to completely eliminate any exposure to OA

HOWEVER, it is no match for the Sublimox IMO as its just too slow. For anything up to 10 hives though, its worth considering as its neat, small, effective but EXPENSIVE.

Before anyone asks - I wasn't paid for the review nor did I get to keep the product.

It works really well, gets 10-15 vapes per charge and means you can switch it on and walk 40m away to completely eliminate any exposure to OA

HOWEVER, it is no match for the Sublimox IMO as its just too slow. For anything up to 10 hives though, its worth considering as its neat, small, effective but EXPENSIVE.

Before anyone asks - I wasn't paid for the review nor did I get to keep the product.

Thanks - yes it was on your channel I saw it, I should have linked to the vid!

Reactions: BMH
Sublimox is 300w but switches and on around 50% of the time. I use either a 2800w gen or victron inverter below, I cant stand poor products which ruin a day.

Victron Phoenix Pure Sine Wave Inverter - 12V 500W (VE.Direct-enabled)

combined with a trojan battery below, I can run the sublimox for a few hours easily

24TMX Trojan Battery Deep Cycle 12v 85Ah - Trojan Batteries Online

I find the sublimox a load of hassle with cables, generator or above, gasvap is excellent if well set up, used on low and the new Taylor torch, most problems occur as running too hot. I have recently bought a massive stainless Turkish vap which runs on a big bottle of gas and a large torch, heavy but really really quick, makes the sublimox as slow as the old Varrox.

Hi Mark.

Do you have a link to the turkish one?

Sounds great.

Hi Mark.

Do you have a link to the turkish one?

Sounds great.
Hi Laurence, I don’t, I got it through a friend in Turkey, I’ll find out in time though. You have probably seen it, I’ll attach a pic. I did take a video but it’s impossible to operate with one hand and I don’t have your camera equipment. Great detailed videos btw. By the time I had picked up the phone more of half of the 4g I put in it had already exited.

Attachments

• 2E2851FB-3743-4DCE-81A0-B186DE060A31.jpeg
    2E2851FB-3743-4DCE-81A0-B186DE060A31.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
Hi Laurence, I don’t, I got it through a friend in Turkey, I’ll find out in time though. You have probably seen it, I’ll attach a pic. I did take a video but it’s impossible to operate with one hand and I don’t have your camera equipment. Great detailed videos btw. By the time I had picked up the phone more of half of the 4g I put in it had already exited.

That looks quality.

Well next time you see him, can you grab me one please and send it to me so it can sit in the customs queue at Calais for 6 months? ;)

Honestly, I would be very interested in buying one if we can sort the logistics either via you or your friend in Turkey. Still not found a vaping solution I am happy with!

Whatever that is it has a long nozzle. The sublimox could do with one like that but maybe the oxalic would recrystallise on it ?

That looks quality.

Well next time you see him, can you grab me one please and send it to me so it can sit in the customs queue at Calais for 6 months? ;)

Honestly, I would be very interested in buying one if we can sort the logistics either via you or your friend in Turkey. Still not found a vaping solution I am happy with!
I’ll ask, problem is shipping is quite expensive from turkey, I can probably get you one with future orders. There is also a multi barrelled one which resembles a gatlin gun but looks OTT to me. I can loan you it if you pay for postage but you would need a gas regulator as these here are different.
I’m probably in the same boat but actually moving away from OAV.

Yes I thought it would block but it doesn’t, it just powers through

Is the chamber pressurised? That would explain why it powers through. Sublimox cap just pops when any reasonable pressure builds which is a pain!

I’ll ask, problem is shipping is quite expensive from turkey, I can probably get you one with future orders. There is also a multi barrelled one which resembles a gatlin gun but looks OTT to me. I can loan you it if you pay for postage but you would need a gas regulator as these here are different.
I’m probably in the same boat but actually moving away from OAV.

That sounds like a plan! Ill drop you a message. Moving away from OAV? What are you moving over to?

Latest posts

Back