Sublimox, inverter and battery.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sublimox is 300W so your generator should be more than enough.
There is a thread in the archives where a poster claimed that it was well documented on the continent that the electronics in the heat control of the sublimox prefer pure sine wave, and modified sine could lead to an early death for the machine.

Read the power requirement from your sublimox. You should then be able to work it out yourself!
I know it should have no problem powering it but it was a previous post from Apple that suggested a small generator may have been the cause of a fatal problem with his sublimox.
Thankfully others have had no problems with similar generators.

There is a thread in the archives where a poster claimed that it was well documented on the continent that the electronics in the heat control of the sublimox prefer pure sine wave, and modified sine could lead to an early death for the machine.
That's what I was referring to I'm my previous post but it seems the SIP produces a pure sine wave. It's a good deal at under £100.

That's what I was referring to I'm my previous post but it seems the SIP produces a pure sine wave. It's a good deal at under £100.
Oh yeah, it's this thread, resurrected, good info!

Err for this ignoramus how do I tell what my inverter does?

Yeah, I've not used in anger yet but it works a treat, light and reasonably quiet! I used to have 2stroke one which was a PITA to start.
Just a warning! It doesn't com with oil...... it needs 0.23lts of 15W 40

Err for this ignoramus how do I tell what my inverter does?
inverters are clever transformers.
"A pure sine wave inverter will transform alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) which can then be used to deliver high-quality electric capable of powering appliances like TVs, computers etc.
Inverter generators are a newer type of portable generator with an electronic upgrade. An inverter generator automatically adjusts its engine speed to the current electrical demand, rather than running at a constant speed no matter the load size. This significantly reduces fuel consumption and noise level"

Yeah, I've not used in anger yet but it works a treat, light and reasonably quiet! I used to have 2stroke one which was a PITA to start.
Just a warning! It doesn't com with oil...... it needs 0.23lts of 15W 40
I already have the impax one mentioned by fatshark earlier(thanks!), no complaints but nearly double the price of the toolstation bargain you spotted.

An inverter generator automatically adjusts its engine speed to the current electrical demand, rather than running at a constant speed no matter the load size. This significantly reduces fuel consumption and noise level"
It's also a PITA if you have power tools with a built in slow-start programme - they don't demand enough power at the start up for the generator to turn up the juice. I remember when we were working on the chapel one summer we had to plug in an old fashioned piece of kit and turn it on just to be able to start up my disk cutter, jigsaw and power planer

It's also a PITA if you have power tools with a built in slow-start programme - they don't demand enough power at the start up for the generator to turn up the juice. I remember when we were working on the chapel one summer we had to plug in an old fashioned piece of kit and turn it on just to be able to start up my disk cutter, jigsaw and power planer
Thats a good point. The older constant speed generators never had that issue - you can still get them, often at a good price and they should be perfectly adequate for things which don't require finer smoother power like delicate electronic appliances like televisions do.

inverters are clever transformers. "A pure sine wave inverter will transform alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) which can then be used to deliver high-quality electric capable of powering appliances like TVs, computers etc.
Inverter generators are a newer type of portable generator with an electronic upgrade. An inverter generator automatically adjusts its engine speed to the current electrical demand, rather than running at a constant speed no matter the load size. This significantly reduces fuel consumption and noise level"
Have you got that first paragraph right way round? My inverter (along with other currently marketed "inverters")changes DC (from a battery) to AC. DC "can" power certain televisions and ccomputers, usually the TV's are portables but most run off a 230 volt AC domestic supply.

Have you got that first paragraph right way round? My inverter (along with other currently marketed "inverters")changes DC (from a battery) to AC. DC "can" power certain televisions and ccomputers, usually the TV's are portables but most run off a 230 volt AC domestic supply.
Yes - your inverter is probably a 12v or 24v inverter designed for camper vans/caravans and the like to be able to run some household appliances., An inverter is just a clever transformer, it can be built to go either way - if that makes sense.

Yes - your inverter is probably a 12v or 24v inverter designed for camper vans/caravans and the like to be able to run some household appliances., An inverter is just a clever transformer, it can be built to go either way - if that makes sense.
I'm still querying the part of your statement "transform alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) which can then be used to deliver high-quality electric capable of powering appliances like TVs, computers etc."

there is now a mine field of inverters generators and inverter generators.

in general sensitive electronics and generators are used together with hopeful caution, as generators especially traditional ones don't exactly have the most stable of outputs, AVR helps this by regulating the output voltage more tightly but frequency is entirely dependent on engine RPM and small engines bog and surge somewhat, some devices don't like this others don't care, in general things like motors don't really care ( generators hate there start up current but that's another story) resistive loads like heating elements don't care as long as voltage is somewhere near frequency can be whatever they'll even run happily on DC this may not be true of there controller tho.

problems comes when using thyristors or switch mode powersupplys. if the designers were expecting a perfect sinewave at constant frequency and voltage. that what i needs or its going to cook , if it has a switching power supply, or uses electronics to control an output chances are you need pure sine wave if you want it to work right, the saving grace for these sublimators is the heating element itself is a resistive load so easiest thing for an inverter or generator to drive

sqaure wave.jpg

Reactions: mbc
Needed a generator for some Xmas lights for a nativity do! Saw this at toolstation on a discount so got one.
After reading this thread I'm not sure if it will power my sublimox😢

https://www.toolstation.com/sip-600...gibshREt7Pjlap6q12UaAs5ZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
It's got terrible reviews ... hopefully you have got one of the few that actually work. This one from Toolstation is only a couple of quid more and has 100% reviews.

https://www.toolstation.com/sip-03920-portable-generator/p12867

Latest posts

Back