Struggling here, any help appreciated.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And feels wonderful next to the skin

Some feels less wonderful, some of those Welsh hill breeds can rather abrasive if the texture at shearing is anything to go by! Alpaca fibre can be incredibly soft although I'm personally pro-sheep rather than pro-camelid!

Bit more work but not hard to make using a jug saw and some tape. These are designed to hold nothing or a two litre rapid feeder of syrup or a takeaway tub of fondant. Wood and PIR salvaged from pallets/skips so only cost was the tape (although probably better to use aluminium tape than duct tape), nails, glue and Danish oil.

P.S. That ebay listing irritates me... It's alpaca fibre, not wool! Wool is from sheep. :D

I think you're splitting hairs ;) on the "wool"/"fibre" definition; top and bottom of it....some type of alpaca fluff has many of the attributes and is missing some of the possibly negative features of sheep's wool. However, I have no partisan interest in promoting it over sheep's wool. I only quote that particular listing because it is described as useful in beekeeping and is a piece of kit which I think is useful.
Your adaptable PIR setup looks very useful and serves the purpose of insulating a feeder and the space it occupies. But I can't always be sure what sort of box or other item of kit I'll be using above the crownboard, so a more malleable arrangement suits me better.

I think you're splitting hairs ;) on the "wool"/"fibre" definition; top and bottom of it....some type of alpaca fluff has many of the attributes and is missing some of the possibly negative features of sheep's wool. However, I have no partisan interest in promoting it over sheep's wool. I only quote that particular listing because it is described as useful in beekeeping and is a piece of kit which I think is useful.
Your adaptable PIR setup looks very useful and serves the purpose of insulating a feeder and the space it occupies. But I can't always be sure what sort of box or other item of kit I'll be using above the crownboard, so a more malleable arrangement suits me better.

Hence why I made specific ekes for each k e (edit: hive) which can remain with each hive through the year.

Not just me splitting hairs (!) about it, that's the correct terminology and most alpaca keepers I've come across seem rather rabid about using it! :D

Would be interested to hear these downsides about sheep's wool other than the relative fineness of alpaca fibre in comparison?

Last edited:
Hence why I made specific ekes for each k e which can remain with each hive through the year.

Not just me splitting hairs (!) about it, that's the correct terminology and most alpaca keepers I've come across seem rather rabid about using it! :D

Would be interested to hear these downsides about sheep's wool other than the relative fineness of alpaca fibre in comparison?

My beekeeping isobviously much less organised than yours; but that works well for you. (y)

I'm loath to become an unpaid, novice assistant to the alpaca fibre marketing board, but the information I have unintentionally acquired is that alpaca fibre from the most common type of the animal is warmer than wool and although water-resistant, contains no lanolin. I'll leave that here as I wasn't looking to argue the merits or otherwise of different animal-derived insulating products. :)

My beekeeping isobviously much less organised than yours; but that works well for you. (y)

I'm loath to become an unpaid, novice assistant to the alpaca fibre marketing board, but the information I have unintentionally acquired is that alpaca fibre from the most common type of the animal is warmer than wool and although water-resistant, contains no lanolin. I'll leave that here as I wasn't looking to argue the merits or otherwise of different animal-derived insulating products. :)

Me organised... Why yes, of course I am... :laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014

Interesting, I'll have to look into it... Although confused as to why lanolin is bad, I love how my hands feel after shearing, it's great for the skin. I just wish I could extract it more easily for soap making. Shame you're leaving it there as we're beekeepers approaching winter thus according to all known laws of nature we must descend into all out war upon disagreeing about a triviality... :D

Wool- only sherp related?

Clearly never done any soldered plumbing, for instance - where steel wool is used.

It’s s bit like saying ‘bread’ should only refer to white sliced bread - or something silly, like that.

Some people are allergic to lanolin. I think alpaca is also warmer and lighter than sheep’s wool.

Latest posts

Back