Struggling here, any help appreciated.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple answer to that is to enclose the fiberglass or rockwool in a polthyene bag of an appopriate size and seal it up. If there's nothing else available for insulation anything is better than nothing !
Exactly!

of course they did - it's just fondant (with food colouring)

That's not what it says on the tin...

"The combination of sugar together with the proteins of the bee pollen make this product ideal for beekeeping nourishment, particularly for developing families and whenever there is a scarce pollen importation."

:confused:

That's not what it says on the tin...

"The combination of sugar together with the proteins of the bee pollen make this product ideal for beekeeping nourishment, particularly for developing families and whenever there is a scarce pollen importation."

:confused:
Look at the list of ingredients How much us pollen ?

Simple answer to that is to enclose the fiberglass or rockwool in a polthyene bag of an appopriate size and seal it up. If there's nothing else available for insulation anything is better than nothing !
? ? ?
Would you use rockwool as the stuffing for the pillow you sleep on?
If you do not have polystyrene foam insulation, and cannot think what else to use to stuff into a polythene bag of an appropriate size, then you could use: wood shavings, or sawdust, or straw, or crumpled newspaper, or old woollen garments, or . . . . . (you get the idea)
But, , , rockwool? Polythene bags have a habit of getting torn or pierced at the most inconvenient time. Use what you like, but as I indicated in an earlier posting, DO NOT use rockwool or fibreglass insulation in a beehive.

Reactions: Ely
If you do not have polystyrene foam insulation, and cannot think what else to use to stuff into a polythene bag of an appropriate size, then you could use: wood shavings, or sawdust, or straw, or crumpled newspaper, or old woollen garments, or . . . . .
.............rockwool

.............rockwool
Why am I not surprised to see a response like this from you, Mr Jenkins?
How many good reasons can you think of why rockwool should be allowed anywhere near to food items, such as honey? Please back up your advice by providing approval from the appropriate Health Administration Authorities.

Why am I not surprised to see a response like this from you, Mr Jenkins?
How many good reasons can you think of why rockwool should be allowed anywhere near to food items, such as honey? Please back up your advice by providing approval from the appropriate Health Administration Authorities.
please back up your 'advice' with either some experience of using this stuff on hives - or indeed any knowledge of regulations set by 'health administration authorities' in the UK

please back up your 'advice' with either some experience of using this stuff on hives - or indeed any knowledge of regulations set by 'health administration authorities' in the UK
Yes, I will back up my advice . . . .
I have had first hand personal experience with both rockwool and fibreglass insulation. Of these, rockwool is the more hazardous material when it comes to tiny glass-splinter dust, which do cause health problems if they are ingested by humans. It is for the reasons of personal experience that I would never use these kinds of material in a beehive.
Nevertheless, if you are determined to use it in your beehives, or to recommend that other beekeepers should use it in their hives, then I am not in a position to stop you. However, if you continue to make recommendations of this nature, I am sure that the relevant "health administration authorities" in the UK could well be able to challenge your advice.

But you have zero experience of using it with bees, or any real knowledge of its use as an insulation medium for beehives. Or any idea of the regulations in the UK about using it near live animals.
I have no desire to continue with this non argument, so let's leave it there shall we?

But you have zero experience of using it with bees, or any real knowledge of its use as an insulation medium for beehives. Or any idea of the regulations in the UK about using it near live animals.
I have no desire to continue with this non argument, so let's leave it there shall we?
No, I do not want to leave it here, or there, or anywhere else.
You have emphasised your opinion that rockwool is an appropriate material for use in a beehive.
I have emphasised my conviction that it is an inappropriate material for use in any beehive. It is true that I do not have any experience of using it with bees - but then, why would I even think of doing such a thing, when I know of the hazards it can present?
Why would you want me to abandon this discussion. I am pleased that you have described it as a "non-argument". I am interested in rational, informative discussion. If you do not wish to seek approval from the relevant health authorities in the UK, do you want someone else to seek their opinion on your behalf?

If you do not wish to seek approval from the relevant health authorities in the UK, do you want someone else to seek their opinion on your behalf?
Whoever's opinion I would seek, I think we all know someone's we wouldn't ask

Last edited:
? ? ?
Would you use rockwool as the stuffing for the pillow you sleep on?
If you do not have polystyrene foam insulation, and cannot think what else to use to stuff into a polythene bag of an appropriate size, then you could use: wood shavings, or sawdust, or straw, or crumpled newspaper, or old woollen garments, or . . . . . (you get the idea)
But, , , rockwool? Polythene bags have a habit of getting torn or pierced at the most inconvenient time. Use what you like, but as I indicated in an earlier posting, DO NOT use rockwool or fibreglass insulation in a beehive.
To try and bring some closure to this:

a) Nobody is suggesting that rockwool or fibreglass insulation is put inside a hive or without some outer covering.

b) If it is going to be used then, as I said originally, it should be sealed in a polythene bag. I would qualify that and say that it should be a strong one and the stuffing of it done with gloves, dust mask and away from the hives.

c) if it's going to be used in the prescribed manner then it needs to be above a crown board, one that has no holes under it and beneath a weather proof roof - in case the UK Hurrican season damages it.

We have loads of lofts in the UK insulated with Rockwool and/or fibreglass insulation. It's not very nice stuff and it can be an irritant and certainly I would avoid breathing the dust from it into my lungs.

But ... it's a very good insulator, used in the way I described it's better than nothing but my preference would be for Celotex or one of the other PIR's.

So, hopefully, that's an end to it .... There are no UK Health Regulations associated with the insulation of beehives - hopefully common sense prevails ... although having seen some of the above posts I am not holding my breath for it .....

Latest posts

Back