Storing honey frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babnik42

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
I've read in several places that's it's good to store surplus honey frames for times when they are needed. How do you store the frames so that they are at their best when needed?

Get an old broken chest freezer. Bob's your uncle!
Put in a real freezer first to kill wax moth!
E

You tend not to need surplus honey frames. Bees typically easily make surpluses of honey, so much so that it needs to be extracted.

You tend not to need surplus honey frames. Bees typically easily make surpluses of honey, so much so that it needs to be extracted.

Poor advice - surplus honey frames are invaluable if one wants to increase or help a weaker colony later in the season.

Poor advice - surplus honey frames are invaluable if one wants to increase or help a weaker colony later in the season.

Surely the first question should be are they super or brood frames with honey in, if super then I would agree with Midland beek, if they were brood frames then I would do as others say and freeze for 24-48hrs and then store in a unused freezer or in sealed double bagged bin liners in a spare brood box.

But a super of surplus honey, not suitable for extracting profitably would be useful under a weaker colony's brood box. Narrow entrance to reduce robbing then.

Back