Storage of capped/uncapped super frames and stores ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndreaW

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Just thinking through ideas whilst it rains :banghead:

If I take the super with capped and uncapped (might all be capped when I look today bee-smillie ) honey off whilst I apiguard - how should I store it - I will put it back on to feed them after the apiguard so 4-6 weeks time? Black bin bags, double bagged in shed - will that be okay.

How many frames of stores required for food so that I shouldn't panic that they will starve whilst being treated? They are in a commercial bb, quite strong in numbers from a nuc in June. I know this is dependent on size of colony and queen laying activity - she is pretty good ;)?

Or would you recommend a contact feeder after a few days to ensure don't starve?

Do I still check them after 7-10 days to assess stores or should I leave them for 14 days until the apiguard has been used (first tray)?

My mentor says to leave the super on with stores whilst treating with apiguard but all the apiguard inserts I have read today suggest otherwise and the comments on here.not worthy.

Thanks, sorry for so many repetitive posts and questions, just want to get it vaguely right ;)

Andrea

No real answer to your post.

One of the requirements when doing an inspection/ check is to answer the question: Is there enough stores until the next check?

IF there is oodles to last the 14 days and I was confident there was not going to be any swarm cells built in that time I would not keep disturbing them weekly at this time of the year. Weather and flow can make a huge difference

IF NOT you either feed now or check again while they will still have stores. Fairly simple.

IF the stores are increasing at the next check (and you are not feeding them) - no need to feed unless for any specific reason; if the same - keep monitoring, and if a deficit, rewrite the plan accordingly. Simple innit?

You will likely be checking the mite drop any way.

IF there is a substantial mite drop you continue with the treatment. IF virtually none -you are likely doing something wrong or are wasting money on unecessary treatment, so stop/reappraise the need to continue/scratch your head!

Same with the removed super. What do you intend doing with it if it is sustantially capped? I would suggest harvesting it, or some of it. Replace with sugar syrup later, if necessary, or start feeding as soon as you wish/plan/need. If you wish to replace that same super empty, but with already drawn comb, a strong colony would fill it in a few days, with heavy feeding.

Best is no need to store it (extract it), but there may just be 3 or 4 frames to store in which case they might be in the freezer, a fridge, cool protected place, stored in an upright position/whatever.

How many frames of stores minimum? - two, and adjust your next inspection accordingly. Knowing the flow is an important observation so you do not panic and do not let them get short of stores. Watch the weather, too; things can change very quickly.

Beekeeping can be proactive and is reactive - all you really need to do is keep a few days ahead of the bees, whilst remaining flexible in your reponse capability. It's called 'being prepared'.

You, as a new beek, will need to err on the side of caution, that is for sure. When more experienced you will just go with the flow.

So really, in a nutshell, 'the beat laid plans ... can easily need changing'.

Just remember options, options options and get them all written down - or you will forget the important one in the panic!

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Back