Stoneleigh March 2014 non BBKA Event

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it seems that this thread is now a commercial interest and the last few pages just spoiling tactics against the Spring convention (obvious by the little untruths about conditions at Harper Adams). I'm not against us having as much choice as possible but I think all this will end up doing is diluting the event at Harper Adams thus spoiling it for those going there.
I am not agin a frank and open discussion on here - that can only be a benefit for all of us. But when a new member of the forum has obviously just joined to post on this thread exclusively plugging the event and rubbishing the other - something is a bit whiffy in the state of Denmark - and it's not just their bacon!

Last edited:
So it seems that this thread is now a commercial interest and the last few pages just spoiling tactics against the Spring convention (obvious by the little untruths about conditions at Harper Adams).

I don't understand why you're being so protective of the Spring Convention, surely people can criticise a choice of venue and say why, especially as there's a whole thread complaining about a rise in membership fees that is less than a cup of posh coffee.

As for conditions at Harper Adams, I was told by one supplier that they would be unlikely to return after the first year because it was so badly organised and much of their stock was damaged - and I have absolutely no commercial interest whatsoever, unless being a potential buyer puts me into that category.

I never went to Stoneleigh so have no comparison but I found HA to be well organised with good facilities in 2012 and 2013. Yes, the trade stands are in a huge barn but that seemed to work OK (apart from 1st year teething problems and lack of mobile signal for POS credit card systems due to a mast fault locally). HA were building new lecture halls when we were last there so maybe the facilities will be even better in 2014.

An event in March at Stoneleigh - I might go if they sort out some decent lectures etc - let's face it, there's only so much kit you can buy!

It was probably only a matter of time before an independent trade event was born. BBKA did a great job over the years in bolting on a trade event to a lecture convention, and may continue to do so. But business is business, and any commercial organisation will do what they need to do for the good of their business, and the Spring convention does not lend itself to big enough sales for various reasons, including the geography. You'll find most traders will attend both events - combined footfall over 2 events probably significantly higher than if a single event had been held. I'll probably go to both given I live equidistant between them, but an additional event will attract extra custom on the whole

...You'll find most traders will attend both events - combined footfall over 2 events probably significantly higher than if a single event had been held. I'll probably go to both given I live equidistant between them, but an additional event will attract extra custom on the whole
Agreed generally. The largest traders will attend both because it's a commercial decision, gain versus costs. Warwick could draw a few more in for which a day trading could be viable. Noticeable that FP were not at NHS this year, a multi day with overnights for them and therefore increased costs..

For the record, I have no commercial interest in any supplier other than as a retail customer.

I went to H.A. the first year but would not go again - too far away for me and badly organised that year. I may go to the Stoneleigh event though, because it involves no more than 5 or 6 hours driving and most of the dealers will be there.

Still fairly new at this and working my way around the shows.
Went to Stoneleigh in its last year there.
Missed a year and went to HA this year. Did honey show this year to.
Next year I will do this event and maybe the Welsh convention.
Then having then been around most of them I will either rotate them year about or just go to the one I enjoyed most.

Does Europe have any of these type of shows ?

Well, a couple of weeks ago we missed the 2nd (annual) "Beecome" held just outside Brussels.

Looks quite interesting...........I notice Sherriff were there.
Its the 2nd annual so maybe have a look at their 3rd next year as its in the quiet time.

PeteD if you can get past the doorman then it would be nice to catch up with you for a chat.

Mind - they have a choosy lot manning the doors at the Welsh convention - they don't let any old riffraff in! :D

PeteD if you can get past the doorman then it would be nice to catch up with you for a chat.

I am up for the challenge, I will deploy the wife on distraction tactics, dust off the sheep outfit love, or play the 5 minute waiting game......... Where I have to wait 5 minutes between the door men's tea breaks. If they both fail I will start a rumour about Maisie's selling hives on bog off. :spy:
Would be good to say hi to Craig, so will check the dates and let my social secretary know we are off to the land of our fore fathers.

Tel no for the Stoneleigh Event is the same as Fragile Planet's. Or did everyone else know that already!?
Tony Grey from Fragile Planet has been mentioned previously for the Beekeeping Trade Exhibition.

So it seems that this thread is now a commercial interest and the last few pages just spoiling tactics against the Spring convention (obvious by the little untruths about conditions at Harper Adams). I'm not against us having as much choice as possible but I think all this will end up doing is diluting the event at Harper Adams thus spoiling it for those going there.
I am not agin a frank and open discussion on here - that can only be a benefit for all of us. But when a new member of the forum has obviously just joined to post on this thread exclusively plugging the event and rubbishing the other - something is a bit whiffy in the state of Denmark - and it's not just their bacon!
I don't think it's a commercial interest, just honest opinions from those who know both sites.

Beegen you have 10 posts to your name and they are all about this one topic that is the reason why people suspect you have a link to it. Not one post outside of this thread.

Well, there will always be a clash sometimes. I was very impressed with the number of traders going to Stoneleigh, although I notice there are few charities.

Latest posts

Back