A few questions from a would be beekeeper.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would do the same. For me I like the bigger brood box and top bee space
Precisely ..... and the only issue is that we are ripped off in the UK with the cost of Langstoth kit. Although it is almost standard in the rest of the world the UK got caught up with standard national boxes and the nearest we have to it now is 14 x 12 or commercial boxes which are 16 x 10.

Is it any wonder beginners worry about what kit to use ... too much choice in some respects.

I'm sure there will be masochists with the problem solving ability of Alan Turing who will avidly follow your advice ...
It's the way I started and since you are probably of a similar vintage it is likely that you stated that way too, as did most if not all in those far off days.

It's the way I started and since you are probably of a similar vintage it is likely that you stated that way too, as did most if not all in those far off days.
I would have done but the year I started was a nightmare in one way and another ... I had intended to start in June but for a variety of reasons it didn't happen and I started the following spring after an association course, helping another beekeeper through the previous season and a lot of over winter research, reading and more reading and more reading. I am glad I was thwarted and started in spring.

Having seen a whole lot of beginners, since then, starting without the confidence that some beekeeping education brings I'd say that there's more chance of them giving up than those who give up when they have some idea about what they are letting themselves in for. The attrition rate in new beekeepers is high enough without encouraging people to jump in with both feet and hope for the best.

It's a different world these days - the internet generation seem to expect that there's a video or an instructable for anything you want to do ... you (and I) come from a generation when knowledge was acquired via library books and hands on experience .. learning on the job was almost the norm - and there was nothing wrong with that ... but times have changed and you must have noticed that some younger people lack the impetus required to teach themselves. It's probably why the Haynes Manual of Beekeeping is so popular because Hooper is too hard to read.

Or they could start with a proper box size to start with rather than a cramped space that was born out of a shortage of timber to make beehives ... I'd probably go with Langstroth if I was starting over again ...
I run Langstroth after trying nationals, my bees re happier and my beekeeping is more enjoyable. They are the best hive for sure.

The added bonus is, it prevents “helpful “ beekeepers wanting to give you a frame of bees to help a struggling colony, for me that is one of the most dangerous common practices amongst association members.

The added bonus is, it prevents “helpful “ beekeepers wanting to give you a frame of bees to help a struggling colony, for me that is one of the most dangerous common practices amongst association members.

Patrick it doesn't prevent "helpful" beekeepers at all. There is the use of cable ties or the "Hopkins method". The latter works the same, langstroth to national. Also I have seen a diy conversion kit for national to langstroth frames (wooden langstroth frames with a template for national frames).

I run Langstroth after trying nationals, my bees re happier and my beekeeping is more enjoyable. They are the best hive for sure.
I look at my hotch potch hives and plan how I could replace the boxes without my husband noticing 😂😂

What I don’t understand, is the need to hide kit from ones other half. My husband knows what bee stuff I buy & I know what woodworking tools he gets. It all evens out eventually.

I've used plastic frames for 10-15 years. I've not noticed any delay in the bees drawing the foundation (see post above).
Advantages:
1. They open into two leaves like a book so it's easy to insert the foundation in my apiary without needing a hammer and tacks.
2. Easy to dispose of old comb and clean the frame in washing soda for reuse.
Disadvantages:
1. Now much more expensive than 'seconds' wooden frames in the sales so I'm moving back to wood.
2. May warp if cleaned in boiling soda solution
3. They are moulded and wax moth larvae may reside in the voids.

Attachments

• 70130103-9AA5-49D5-BA6D-5E18667997E4_1_105_c.jpeg
    70130103-9AA5-49D5-BA6D-5E18667997E4_1_105_c.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 11
What I don’t understand, is the need to hide kit from ones other half. My husband knows what bee stuff I buy & I know what woodworking tools he gets. It all evens out eventually.
I don’t hide kit. It was a joke. I have kit for 15 14x12. I’d love to replace it with Langs. I couldn’t justify the cost.

2. May warp if cleaned in boiling soda solution
3. They are moulded and wax moth larvae may reside in the voids.

Yes. Mine warped and don't sit straight in the box. And they provide lots of nooks and crevices for wax moth. Never again.

I look at my hotch potch hives and plan how I could replace the boxes without my husband noticing 😂😂
Its easy, find a good supplier get the best deal and treat it as long service payment, maybe if they have a points scheme cash them in 😊😊 Alternatively I know a beekeeper with some second hand boxes !

Patrick it doesn't prevent "helpful" beekeepers at all. There is the use of cable ties or the "Hopkins method". The latter works the same, langstroth to national. Also I have seen a diy conversion kit for national to langstroth frames (wooden langstroth frames with a template for national frames).
Necessity is the mother of invention, no more so than with beekeepers needs. 😊😊

Langstroths have benefits as mentioned above but I would never recommend them to a beginner.

As a beginner you want to be able to access the network of beekeepers around you. The positive network effect of using nationals (i.e. being able to easily source a nuc locally, or sell a nuc locally) easily outweigh the slight disadvantages of the format. Plus I really like the longer lugs .....

I'm interested in your reasons regarding the Langstroth if you have a few mins.
I started with Langstroth. It's easier to make - the National is an abomination designed by a committee who wanted to make it as difficult as possible -both to make and manage. With top beespace it is easier to manage.
It is not a susrpise that no-one else in the civilised beekeeping world uses Nationals. They are a deadend and teh endless debates about hive formats show how rubbish they are. (I am biased)

I also started in April, went to weekly practical classes and followed their guidance. And my bees survived (despite my incompetence.)

Just realise that throwing money at beekeeping is not a recipe for success. Second hand new equipment from failed beekeepers who have spent unwisely has been the foundation of my equipment. :cool:

Actually I think others make a joke of it as well. It’s a beekeeping national sport.
:iagree: I hide all my kit in a shed at the top of the garden.
Now I've just got to find a way of hiding the freaking shed.....
And explain why the 10x10' run where I used to house my spaniels is now full of supers
and convince her that the pallet full of invert beside the house is a group buy between a bunch of fellow beeks
and............................................

I started with Nationals and found them too small for a good Queen- unless you have a double brood box.
I got into single brood management which I make early season nucs from- to sell on or increase my numbers. Then demaree, if needed, later on,combine back to singles at the end of the season. Soon as I think I know what I’m doing the bees teach me another lesson.
Luckily there are some bee keepers out there that know it all.
Luckily for me, I know very little.

Latest posts

Back