Starvation Alert

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here in my part of Cheshire theres little coming in at the moment and they seem to be using all I give them, so its back to Aldi again.

Dave W

Well here in my part of Cheshire theres little coming in at the moment and they seem to be using all I give them, so its back to Aldi again.

Dave W

lots of HB in N Staffs.. No need of more feeding...

Feeding 2:1 and they're hardly touching it in the southeast.

Feeding 2:1 and they're hardly touching it in the southeast.

Like I said elsewhere .. if there's forage about for them still ...no real need to feed ... still lots of stuff about for them in the Costa del Fareham. Mind you - weather forecast for the week ahead is not great, lots of rain forecast for me down here so they'll be eating more than they are bringing in I would think ... Hi ho ...plenty there for all of us at present.

Last edited:
lots of HB in N Staffs.. No need of more feeding...

Light mist this am - and fine rain .Overcast.. At 8.00am bees are bringing in balsam in volume.

Like I said elsewhere .. if there's forage about for them still ...no real need to feed ... still lots of stuff about for them in the Costa del Fareham. Mind you - weather forecast for the week ahead is not great, lots of rain forecast for me down here so they'll be eating more than they are bringing in I would think ... Hi ho ...plenty there for all of us at present.

Costa del Titichfield seems to be ticking over also :party:

Except for today, today is rubbish!

Finally, getting some weight on my hives through feeding! Maybe some Ivy nectar is coming in too now.

I fed mine 2ltrs each Saturday gone and i checked today and all the feeders where bone dry, hefted them all and they have weight but not enough so i give them another 2tlrs each to keep them going till my 6ltr feeders arrive in the post then towards the end of the month i will start bulking them up for winter, they are still piling the pollen in though.

An example of how the nectar flow differs from location to location: last week, one colony, double brood, four supers. Clearer under one super and dry super added. This week, capped super off, dry super fully drawn and 70% filled. Another dry super added. Now with five supers, three 90% capped. Balsam still producing lots of nectar. Other colonies in similar states.

That's not to say others aren't feeding their bees in the North West. I know some here that haven't had such a good year. These regional alerts are based on what the regional bee inspectors see from visitng apiaries throughout a region and are not necessarily going to reflect what is happening in each apiary. That's why these alerts can seem a little daft to some.

I am down south and had only 1 super from my 10 hives that had any honey in. I think that the cold spell, in July, sent the hives into winter mode, the queen stopped laying,and the bees consumed the honey. We have had bad weather since so I am feeding my hives with 630ml of water to 1 kg sugar, and they have been taking it with gusto!!

Latest posts

Back