Spur embedders V Transformer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Anyone got any experience of using spur embedders to embed foundation?

They're obviously a hell of a lot cheaper than a transformer, but how easy are they to use?

I've seen two types.
An American one and a Euro one. Both seem to rely on the same principle of heating the wheel in a flame and then rolling it onto wire, blending it into foundation underneath.

Tried both.
Transformer for me. Much easier and quicker.
Not sure which type of embedded I have but it has a wheel.

As usual 2 beekeepers = 2 answers:)

I prefer the spur embedder. It requires a bit of practice and experimentation to get the right temperature - too hot = melted wax too cool partial embedding. When you get it just right it does a perfect job. I have to wire and wax all my Dadant frames but use pre-wired foundation in everything else.

Tried the spur dodah as it was cheaper, but useless to me.

Transformer is cheaper in the long run plus a useful tool to have. Oh and it works a treat.

Make a wiring board though.

PH

Another transformer fan

Another transformer fan. Works perfectly once you get the knack, but that only takes a few minutes.

Adam

I have to say transformer for me too, think it's much quicker.

Transformer too, albeit in the form of the cheapest, like 14 quid, car battery chargers from Halfords. Cannot even envisage going back to pre wired foundation with all the grooves/slots to clean and the wedge to remove and renail.

Takes the staff 3 to 5 mins per BOX per person with the charger to do rewaxing, nearly 20 mins with prewired foundation.

After only 8 boxes the charger has paid for itself...........not to mention that the foundation itself is also cheaper by a fair margin than pre wired...and the comb flatter and more durable.

Spur embedder (the actual subject matter of the thread) we tried, maybe did not have the hang of it, but it was taking about 15 mins per box (Lang deep with four wires per frame), and it was a more erratic job too.

Just no argument here. Without the electrical method we just could not cope.

ps......My son has just been looking over my shoulder and tells me the last two chargers we bought were actually 21 pounds (January this year), and that it is plainly a while since we bought the first two. He is right I think, of the four we have two have been around for at least 6 years.

another vote for the 12v option rather than the pizza cutter.
although in my case to date it has always been with a spare car battery.
seconds per frame (assuming prewired).

Latest posts

Back