MB hive users - help / opinion on frames etc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengumbo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Bit of advice wanted from folks using MB poly langs.

This year I just started beekeeping with a nuc from a mate and was not planning on supering. So I went for the complete hive - 3 full depth lang bodies.

If my colony gets through winter I aim to split this coming season.

1. So what do MB beeks use for supers and where to buy the relevant frames / foundation. I think medium bodies are the way to go ?

2. Another thing. I was a bit unprepared previously (understatement!!) and bought wired foundation for the full depth frames and had to try and nail it to frames that had no groove (bought from MB). It kind of worked in that the bees drew some frames but it's not ideal ! Is it easy enough to wire and embed your own foundation ?

3. Do you need one of those £50 transformers or are there cheaper ways.

4. I'm tempted to forgo the faff and buy plastic frames. Good route ?

I'm not a complete imbecile (maybe in the beginning !) but it would be nice to hear opinions ! I have learnt so much this season.

I use the medium 3/4 depth supers but mb now do a standard langstroth depth super. Most of my frames are thorrnes seconds bought in their sales. I use thorrnes wired foundation.

2. Another thing. I was a bit unprepared previously (understatement!!) and bought wired foundation for the full depth frames and had to try and nail it to frames that had no groove (bought from MB). It kind of worked in that the bees drew some frames but it's not ideal ! Is it easy enough to wire and embed your own foundation ?

3. Do you need one of those £50 transformers or are there cheaper ways.

Langstroth frames don't have grooves down the side, it isn't only MB frames that are like this.

Horizontal wires like this http://www.incredible-edible-todmorden.co.uk/blogs/wess-s-bee-blog-april and here http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/framewiring.html on Dave Cushman's site

If you're using a starter strip it doesn't need to be so large/deep that it has to be embedded, but you can use a battery charger to embed wire/wax.

No experience of poly langs so no advice there but re wiring wax into frames:-

A simple "spur embedder" (page 13 of the T Hornes catalogue) is fail safe and with a bit of practice is quick and efficient. Transformers and battery chargers work but can and do break down.

Plastic frames are fine if you can persuade your bees to draw them, a brush with molten wax usually gets them started.

For the full depth langstroth frames I have found there is no need to use additional wire reinforcement.
I only do this for the jumbo brood frames.
I use T's seconds with wired foundation.

No experience of poly langs so no advice there but re wiring wax into frames:-

A simple "spur embedder" (page 13 of the T Hornes catalogue) is fail safe and with a bit of practice is quick and efficient. Transformers and battery chargers work but can and do break down.

Plastic frames are fine if you can persuade your bees to draw them, a brush with molten wax usually gets them started.

Would a hair dryer combined with the spur embedder work then ? Should be simple :)

You still haven't explained why your langs brood frames need this reinforcement.
I,ve used a spur embedder and heated it with a blow lap.
I prefer the transformer but for small quantities embedder will be fine.

Hey Blackcomb - how do you fit the foundation into the frame securely if its not wired and has no grooves ?

When I have nailed the prewired stuff in place it just looks a bit wobbly and the wax doesnt sit centrally.

I use wired foundation. You said you do in your first post.
The reason I reinforce the jumbos is because of the large area that can sometimes collapse,when it is full. I reinforce the pre-wired foundation with 2 extra horizontal wires.
For the standard (or deep as you call them) langs. I have found there is no need for this xtra reinforcement. You have to be careful with the frames until they are drawn out and there is comb attached all the way down each side bar. After that, no problem.
If the wax isn't sitting centrally it may be because the size does not exactly match your frames and needs trimming.
There are a couple of threads on here that explain the additional wiring so do a search.
Don't confuse this additional reinforcement with wiring of non wired foundation. Same method but different reasons.

cheers for that. I had a quick look and yes the wired foundation I had used is too big (slightly) for the frames. I will trim it a bit and just stick with that.

GG

Poly langstroth frames are the same as what ever.

But, after experience, if the lower bar is not splitted or grooved, take a 10 mm slice from lower edge of foundation. So wax have space to expand in the heat of the hive.

Often the lower sector of comb is curved and reason is that it is too tight.

If you use only 2 wires in Lanstroth, it is usefull glue the foundation into top bar grove with hot wax.

You will not regret if you do those.

that the bees drew some frames but it's not ideal

I never (now) have a problem with 14 x 12s but these are a fair bit wider. Never quite sure what you mean by full depth for Langstroth as I don't use them. Shallow, medium, jumbo, etc?

I would say your methodology was a bit suspect, as a new beek. You will find that if they are given frames to draw in singles against a wall or between two straight frames during a good flow or period of colony expansion, the bees will draw it straight without any trouble. I used to put a frame of foundation just behind the 'winter divider' in the Dartingtons, as they expanded in spring, for a perfectly drawn frame, then add another.

If I want a box of freshly drawn 14 x 12, I give it as a super during the OSR and 'hey presto!', a spare box of straight-drawn comb is the result. I would never expect a weak or non-expanding colony to do a perfect job on a box of foundation. Mind you, a jumbo langstroth box, full of honey, will be heavy. My extactor will cope with 14 x 12s tangentially - and it must come off before it granulates!

I would suggest you do that and then split them, if you have OSR near you, although beekeeping in Aberdeen may be a little more difficult (or different) than with OSR in Lincolnshire.

Latest posts

Back