Sparrow grass

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
First shoots up today. Far later than previous two years. The season seems more like it should be, with OSR only coming into bloom mid April around here.

Could have cut a few grass spears today but will leave for Sunday. Agree with RAB 2 wks later than last year. Gooseberries now starting to flower, OSR flowering is very variable some field are yellow but most just have a few flowers out. Some vars of plum now starting to open and blackthorn now in full flower.

He he never heard it called that before. Say it quickly and all becomes clear!

Planted some two year old crowns under poly around 6weeks ago, checked this morn and I've a number of 6" spears showing. Never grown it before so will be interested to see how it goes in cold, windy, and dry ERoY.

He he never heard it called that before. Say it quickly and all becomes clear!

Planted some two year old crowns under poly around 6weeks ago, checked this morn and I've a number of 6" spears showing. Never grown it before so will be interested to see how it goes in cold, windy, and dry ERoY.

You lucky beggars ... started my sparrow grass bed three years ago from seed ... can't see any signs of spears yet ... I know the crowns are there ... still a bit early so living in hope !!

After the promising start my sparrow grass plot is a very sorry looking state.
Most of the crowns sprouted spears (which I left alone to allow the plant to build up strength) but they all soon became sickly stunted specimens. The 'bark' of the ferns is all stripped away and alot of the foliage died off so I'm wondering whether it's pigeons/slugs?? Haven't seen any asparagus beetles or grubs? Very frustrating, its allotment judging on Saturday and this is doing me any favours ;-)

That is slug damage. It happened to a quite a few of mine last year. This year I dosed the area liberally with Nemaslug nematodes before the crowns came through and twice more at six weekly intervals. Result was a perfect crop and now the 2 metre fronds wave in the air and are buzzing with bees collecting bright orange pollen 😃

It may be a bit late now. Hope they recover.

Some of mine is now well over 2m tall, and very dense - restrained by ropes around the bed. Asparagus beetles will attack the shoots but, as Erichalfbee says, it is likely slug damage earlier in the season that has stunted any possible.

Still getting some beetle infestation. Not too much and it is dealt with by removal of any eggs/grubs seen and spot spraying of adult beetles. Best way, I think, for only 60 plants and with it buzzing with the bees working it for pollen. One dead beetle is worth clearing off 100 grubs is my philosophy.

RAB

It may be a bit late now. Hope they recover.

Some of mine is now well over 2m tall, and very dense - restrained by ropes around the bed. Asparagus beetles will attack the shoots but, as Erichalfbee says, it is likely slug damage earlier in the season that has stunted any possible.

Still getting some beetle infestation. Not too much and it is dealt with by removal of any eggs/grubs seen and spot spraying of adult beetles. Best way, I think, for only 60 plants and with it buzzing with the bees working it for pollen. One dead beetle is worth clearing off 100 grubs is my philosophy.

RAB

I hammered in stakes and roped off mine in preparation of 2m ferns, lucky if any are over 2 feet! Will try and control the slugs and hope for better next year.

Latest posts

Back