Mass Shootings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Come on. We're all so tired of this. Day after day another one. There have been 140+ mass shootings in America, so far this year.
More shootings than days in 2023. They say it's not the guns that kill people but the crazies who do it. Do you think they want to help folks who are in trouble,
and need help? Of course not. When we go to the grocery store, or the post office, or the airport, that little man in the back of our minds...I wish I could say or do something that would help. I wish our politicians would get together and come up with some sort of plan to stop this malarky. Haven't the people had enough?
I think so. We all know what will get done...nothing.

Not wishing to downplay these tragic incidents but media hype certainly doesn’t help. The latest ‘mass’ shooting reported in Alabama involves 4 victims at the moment according to the BBC, I wouldn’t describe this as mass. Yes this is a tragic unnecessary loss which one would rewind and make good but just banning firearms isn’t going to put a stop to it all.
America is a big country with a lot of folk living there - too many I’m sure in some places, being politically incorrect, more people means more fruit loops. Never gonna be a simple solution.

Not wishing to downplay these tragic incidents but media hype certainly doesn’t help. The latest ‘mass’ shooting reported in Alabama involves 4 victims at the moment according to the BBC, I wouldn’t describe this as mass. Yes this is a tragic unnecessary loss which one would rewind and make good but just banning firearms isn’t going to put a stop to it all.
America is a big country with a lot of folk living there - too many I’m sure in some places, being politically incorrect, more people means more fruit loops. Never gonna be a simple solution.

How many people need to be gunned down to make this a "mass shooting"? This particular animal slaughtered four, innocent people; do you think that's because they decided that four was enough. Were the 28 wounded not intended to be killed? At least 32 out of 50 people were either killed or injured.
There is no media hype in this.

Last edited:
Mass murder might be a better term. Call the killers what they are, murderers.

I recognise there are complexities here but believe it should be possible to retain the right to bear arms yet still have effective safety controls. What people seem to forget is that rights intrinsically imply responsibilities. However, I'm also of the belief that American politics has lost the capability to engage in meaningful dialogue with those who have different views or find effective compromises between the two increasingly extreme ends of the political spectrum. Being a politician now seems to be about career and self rather than serving the people. Being a voter seems to be about who argues the loudest, not the most convincingly.

Not wishing to downplay these tragic incidents but media hype certainly doesn’t help.

I think the media is more of an issue in the sense that when soemthing terrible like this happens, the chances of there being another such crime shortly after signifcantly increases.

It's not necessarily just copycat killing, but other deranged people seeing the mass attention that the usually, now deceased, gunman has recieved and seeks the same noteriety.

Authorities used to beg the print and broadcast media not to publicize the names of the perpetrators to reduce this but it proved nearly impossible.
Now with social media etc there is no chance.

Last edited:
I can't buy a semi automatic assault rifle in Tesco.

I recognise there are complexities here but believe it should be possible to retain the right to bear arms yet still have effective safety controls. What people seem to forget is that rights intrinsically imply responsibilities. However, I'm also of the belief that American politics has lost the capability to engage in meaningful dialogue with those who have different views or find effective compromises between the two increasingly extreme ends of the political spectrum. Being a politician now seems to be about career and self rather than serving the people. Being a voter seems to be about who argues the loudest, not the most convincingly.
The NRA quite literally owns politicians.

:iagree: It must be time for the voters to speak with one voice.

The NRA quite literally owns politicians.
It's more complex than that/just the NRA but yes, they do have a ridiculous system in that regard. It's not that the politicans have no say though - if they agree with the NRA or other lobbying groups (and many do) then they will happily take the money, and many without integrity will do as well.

Not wishing to downplay these tragic incidents but media hype certainly doesn’t help. The latest ‘mass’ shooting reported in Alabama involves 4 victims at the moment according to the BBC, I wouldn’t describe this as mass.

Not sure where the term originates, but according to the "Gun Violence Archive":

the foundation definition being that they have a minimum of four victims shot, either injured or killed, not including any shooter who may also have been killed or injured in the incident​

In this particular incident the BBC reports that there were four deaths and twenty-eight people injured, some critically. I'd personally say that qualifies.

James

I don't like to talk about politics and even less about a third country.
The problem with the second amendment is that it is a redoubt of the war of independence (civilians turned into militiamen of a non-professional continental army) that today lacks practical sense. The chances of a generalized civil uprising against the administration are slim.
Then there is the image that is transmitted by the communication and cultural media (cinema, comics, etc.), outside of politics: the existence of a dual nature in the public function (corruption, racism, conspiracy). This generates distrust in a population with a high degree of individualism that despises federal regulations, seeing them as interference or restriction of their rights.

Whilst it's only happening to "someone else", I doubt many politicians will change their minds. If it were their families and children being shot on a regular basis perhaps the story might be different.

I just can't get my head around the whole situation to be honest. It is utter insanity. That a nation which considers itself one of the greatest (if not the greatest) in the World is willing to have this happen and do little or nothing about it, well, we left irony in the roadside dust quite some miles back.

James

Everything is relative, I'm sure if they were your family you would describe it as mass murder!

When the White House has more sympathy for the “trans” aspect of the shooter, than for the shot, there’s little hope of any sense prevailing. 60409FB6-D185-4AF0-B98B-1335618680F0.jpeg

When the White House has more sympathy for the “trans” aspect of the shooter, than for the shot, there’s little hope of any sense prevailing.

I suspect that's just Fox News, who can't even remotely claim to be a bastion of balanced news coverage, trying to conflate two completely unrelated stories to make it look the way you suggest it does in order to discredit the Democrats' point of view.

James

I suspect that's just Fox News, who can't even remotely claim to be a bastion of balanced news coverage, trying to conflate two completely unrelated stories to make it look the way you suggest it does in order to discredit the Democrats' point of view.

James
It also panders to a side of society almost as bad as the pro gun lot.

There are no effective safety controls.
Young kid the other day in the US knocked on the wrong door and is now fighting for his life having been shot in the head.
In the UK it would be "Sorry wrong house, it's the one over the road".
The NRA, their buying of politicians and the fetishisation of weapons in the US is the problem.

Latest posts

Back