Solway bees - anyone dealt with them?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incidentally I was disappointed that Maisie's took an order from me last Monday and when I rang today they said it won't be sent till Monday.

Well I suppose a week isn't an unreasonable time (they ain't Amazoon you know) and they are getting ready for their big big summer sale in two weeks time, so it will be chaos up there.

Just received an order from Solway Bees which was placed on 16th May. I had to keep emailing and finally telephoning to find out what was happening to my order. The supers I ordered are rough and ready but I would not have expected anything else with the price I paid for them. You get what you pay for. I don't think I will ever use them again - not because of the quality but the haphazard way they seen to have with dealing with orders.

Well I suppose a week isn't an unreasonable time (they ain't Amazoon you know) and they are getting ready for their big big summer sale in two weeks time, so it will be chaos up there.

The expectation for instant deliveries appear to be another bi-product of the age of instant communications...

I am constantly amazed at how quickly some items arrive after you order them. Ordered the new hive from Paynes very late Monday night .. by Tuesday it had left Brighton and I could track it on the courier's website .. arrived Wednesday - when it was actually scheduled for Thursday.

I think back to times when the good old Post Office was hard pushed to deliver a first class letter in less than a week and as for a parcel ...

The opening up of competition in the home delivery sector has had some positive effects .... but I agree that a week is not unreasonable for any parcel delivery.

Really surprised to read this, the dealings that I've had with them have been fine.

Incidentally I was disappointed that Maisie's took an order from me last Monday and when I rang today they said it won't be sent till Monday. What have they been doing for the past week! Woman on phone was very arsey when I asked when to expect delivery and told me it was a busy time of year.

I phoned them (Maisemore) recently, they were honest about being busy and honest about the length of time it would take them to fulfil an order at the moment because they have only so many members of staff and there are only so many hours in the day. They didn't make any false promises, such as that they might give my order preferential treatment which would push other customers further down the line, and the stuff did arrive when they said it was. So I can't fault them.

I've found that Thornes, on the other hand, can be awkward when they make a mistake and are slow to put it right, but I know other people have always had excellent service from them.

Glitches happen, but even so I think 3 months is rather a long time to wait.

I've bought some items from Solway, found them helpful, products and service were fine.

More than can be said for much of the bee supplies industry.

I've been following this thread with interest, I think our expectations have been raised because of purchasing from Amazon, eBay, and similar on-line retailers, that all provide Next Day Delivery, and companies like Ebuyer, you can order up until, sometime in the evening, and still get it next day!

Beekeeping equipment suppliers, and most have been mentioned above, do not seem to offer Next Day Delivery, maybe it's because they are working to Just-In-Time ordering, on making items, if wooden.

Although I must confess Simon The Beekeeper, (eBay) or Direct does off, fantastic quick service!

I have dealt with Solway and not had too much hassle yes had slightly longer delivery during the busy periods have found if I need emergency delivery Mann's almost next day delivery is brilliant! Solway prices are great and since I don't have deep pockets got to watch the cost. Quality not bad if a bit rough but gives me an excuse to spend time in the shed on my own. Priceless!

My dealings have been fine. Their website states there will be a delay to orders in the delivery section. Like the fact you can buy frames in odd numbers and not stuck with packs of 10.

Latest posts

Back