Solway bees - anyone dealt with them?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeline

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone bought from this company before.?
I was after cheap bait hives for the new year and these guys sell flat pack plywood national brood at £11 each. I know it would be cheaper to buy a sheet of ply but don't think I'll save much plus, I have a garage full of kit to assemble over the winter.:rolleyes:

How many ? Four is nearly sixty quid delivered. Five appears to be carriage free, but another 20% for VAT to be added to those prices. Might be a suitable deal in cedar seconds in the Th8rne sale starting next week. Or buy in a couple poly broods for not a lot more....Options, options.

RAB

Anyone bought from this company before.?
I was after cheap bait hives for the new year and these guys sell flat pack plywood national brood at £11 each. I know it would be cheaper to buy a sheet of ply but don't think I'll save much plus, I have a garage full of kit to assemble over the winter.:rolleyes:

I used them this summer in an emergency. I was not impressed. It was cheap price and you got what you paid for and slow (had to chase more than once and got wrong info back). Blunt saws, wrong dimensions on the ply boxes...The frames were worse again, seconds made by the big competition made these look like fifths. I thought ply 14 x 12 would be easy but....my notes simply say do not return.

Thanks for the advice Nic. Think I'll give them a wide berth then.

I've got so much T&G timber lying about that I might knock a few together, give them a lick of paint and see how they pan out. They don't have to look pretty, just functional which is fortunate for me as my carpentry skills are basic to say the least.

Think if I buy any more from Th**nes my missus will go through the roof.

Thorns and Maisemore sales have quite a few bargains if you don't fancy making but for bait hives the bees are none too fussy...or buy a cheap poly...

I ordered various bits and pieces earlier in the year from a number of different suppliers - I was pleased with what I ordered from Soloway - quick delivery and pleased with my purchases. I ordered gabled roof, brood box and some other bits and pieces.

However, only using Wyne Jones because of his quick delivery and good prices - have ordered 3 or 4 times from him and very pleased every time.

I've ordered flat packed ply nuc boxes from them and I was very happy with the quality of them and speed of delivery.
I also bought some national floors from them and again I was happy with those. I would order again. :)

Hmm, so 2 for and 1 against. :rolleyes:

OK I'm easily convinced. I'm more comfortable with a glass in my hand :sifone: than a saw and this looks to be an easy option at £11 (excl.VAT). Th**nes' prices next week will also be excl. VAT and I'm told a little more expensive than their autumn sale so nothing less than £22. Not overly keen on the idea of poly although I am looking to try out a nuc in the new year.

I'll try and post some picture at the weekend :cool: trust me...

I have purchased a few items from Solway,not wooden ware,but lots of q excluders and such like,have had no problems at all,fast delivery and most pleasant and helpful to chat with,the owner is long standing forum member Rourkie,who visits the forum most days.

Last edited:
Th**nes' prices next week will also be excl. VAT and I'm told a little more expensive than their autumn sale so nothing less than £22.

Just noticed this again.

Thorne cataloge and invoice prices are all ex VAT, but the sale prices are all incl VAT.

Not sure about the 22 quid. There were ten supers on offer for thirty quid at the open day. 2 supers and a 20mm eke equates to a 14 x 12. A super plus a simple eke would do as a bait hive....Options, options...but they may not be available in the on-line sale.

RAB

Well post this thread Jim contacted me re my experiences with Solway Bee Supplies. I gave him all the details and photos and he has offed to replace or refund in full the items that were clearly not upto their usual standard. I have opted for some more items instead to allow another 'look see' at them and items I need currently. For my part, I have apologised for not raising this with them at the time, but was a time issue on my part (I was away on holiday when stuff eventually turned up!). I have to say I was impressed by how this was dealt with by Jim, and will now return as a customer. They obviously care and I like to support small local firms. :cheers2: I eagerly await my new package :)

Solway Bees

:winner1st:

Bought most of our beginner equipment from this small company and I like them. Edward, the son, is always happy to give advice too.

Everything we ordered was delivered well-packed, in reasonable time and did what it was supposed to do. We'll be using to replenish stocks this year.

Purchased a couple of British Cedar National Supers from them at the SBA Convention in Inverness last year, very happy with the quality of them.

Will use again bee-smillie

I have used them before, no complaints and very happy.

Although now I hit the sales and get cedar boxes for a few bob more...

Once again we see someone posting a negative report when he's not first given the dealer a chance to rectify the problem.

Please only post in the negative if there's a course of dealings that are unsatisfactory. A small business can be destroyed by a premature criticism.

Given the pictures in the link posted above and the fact they never dealt with a valid (IMO) complaint, I'd say the negative criticism is justified.

Back