So many wasps!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Excession

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Thankfully none at my apiaries yet, but I have never seen so many around. They are decimating the greenfly on my plum tree, which is a good thing - but I can't help thinking how long before they want carbs instead of protien...

Is this the year of the wasp? And are we ready to batten down the hatches?

I have nearly filled one beer trap not far from my hive in less than a fortnight.. I made the trap after seeing wasp's make countless attempts to gain entry.. luckily I have enough bee's to hold them at bay..and the trap will keep the number's down around my hive..

Seen them around mine too, fended off by the guards.

Reduced entrances, colonies united so strong. Not to sure re traps most seem to attract more wasps !

I too have far more wasps this year than I have ever seen before. Fortunately they are paying very little attention to my hives and so far causing no problems apart from a few opportunists during inspections and if I drop anything on the floor. My greengage tree is alive with them!

Wait till/if you get Asian hornets, then you don't worry too much about wasps, from trapping hornets I've found that putting traps around the hives does attract them, although most would be there anyway, but at least you can kill them. Ive noticed the apiaries I put traps at, after a week or so have significantly less hornets. I'm not sure about wasps though as they aren't worth the worry to me.

Latest posts

Back