Smoker recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
Lost the lid off my smoker yesterday picking up a swarm. I've retraced my steps but I've got buggerall chance of finding it in the undergrowth until winter. Have pressed my backup into service, but has anyone got any recommendations for a good/cheap supplier other than fleabay please ?

Buy a good quality Dadant smoker. Cheap ones never last long.the lid also fit well and dosent keep popping off or not fitting properly and you loose pressure when you puff the bellows.

I bought a Dadant in the mid 80's, I gave up bee keeping but never got rid of the smoker, it was always on the shelf in the garage. Last year we started keeping bees again and I dusted the old bugger off, its still puffing nicely.

Buy the best you can afford and umm how did the top get lost as they normally have a hinge pin?

PH

invested in a dadant this year - money well spent, keeps going for ages (left it outside for half an hour or so today and still going strong) and lights at the threat of a naked flame no coaxing or mollycoddling needed.
my spare one is an etna stainless steel smoker I bought off fleabay back in 2009 or 10 for seventeen quid including postage - still going strong.

Last edited:
My eBay smoker is still going strong although I wish I had a bigger one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for the replies
Looks like I might have to treat myself to a Dadant then folks - can never think of birthday present ideas so that will do nicely

Buy the best you can afford and umm how did the top get lost as they normally have a hinge pin?

PH

Because it was a cheapo the hinge pin had long ago given up the ghost

Buy a £ 20 smoker. They are good.

There are no best smokers. More important is smoke material.

I got a copper one from Thornes, inspected a hive at 11am last week and it was still smouldering at 7pm.....how do I know.....the van was full of smoke!

Get calmer bees

It's not the fact that I smoke a lot or have defensive bees it just runs out of fuel too quick if I have to do a few bits and pieces as well as just plain inspections, I carry lumps of wood in my pockets for topping it up but it would be much easier to have a bigger smoker

It's not the fact that I smoke a lot or have defensive bees it just runs out of fuel too quick if I have to do a few bits and pieces as well as just plain inspections, I carry lumps of wood in my pockets for topping it up but it would be much easier to have a bigger smoker

But you buy a bigger smoke. Price is £22.

And another is ready to set fire.

There's someone on fleabay at the moment selling Dadant size smokers but quite a bit cheaper

I have a Dadant for when I do all the hives and a small copper smoker I found at a car boot sale for just the one hive. I don't use much smoke so the big smoker usually does three inspections. The smoker is Stan's job. Being a man, he likes the responsibility of being in charge of the fire :)

where UK are Dadant smoker available as this is my next investment also

Latest posts

Back