Smoker recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps it is easy to light because there is less congestion in the fuel chamber, JBM? It just breathes easier?

Strange innit - there should be no difference. I had a Dadant as a birthday present this year to replace my trusty fleabay special which has done sterling work for years and is now a spare. I can't believe it's so easy to light - using exactly the same fuel as before, just a twist of paper gets it going, even if the paper's only smouldering it soon fires up and belching flames within seconds which gets even the biggest lump of wood smouldering in no time. Once it settles down, it will burn down to the last measly scrap of fuel with little ash, and even plugged up for the 10-15 minute drive between apiaries, all it needs is a quick shake the other end and a good puff of air and it's going again.
The smoker seems to 'tick over' without the occasional puff of the bellows to keep going, just needs one puff to generate copious smoke again.
Only last week I forgot the smoker next to a hive in the home apiary whilst taking a telephone conference during a work break - forty minutes later, popped up to get it and it was still going great guns!
Only gripe is it burns a bit hot but as I don't pump gouts of smoke into the hive anyway that's not really an issue.

Perhaps it is easy to light because there is less congestion in the fuel chamber, JBM? It just breathes easier?

Maybe - but I don't empty the chamber to start a new fire, just push a bit of the charred stuff to one side, stuff a piece of newspaper down as far as it will go, light a corner and bingo. Even with the whole chamber stuffed full it just ticks over gently, then two puffs and smoke city again.

I don't know what makes the Dadant one so much better and so reliable ....

My Dadant is easy to light, far easier to light than the other one even when they've both been set up in exactly the same way and using exactly the same type of fuel. I'm ashamed to admit that I really should "get a life" because I've tested them together more than once. The cheap one has been consigned to the shed, but will probably end up being recycled as it wouldn't be fair to sell it.

I still find it hard to believe that one metal smoker works brilliantly, yet another one doesn't do the job it's meant to do.
Maybe - but I don't empty the chamber to start a new fire, just push a bit of the charred stuff to one side, stuff a piece of newspaper down as far as it will go, light a corner and bingo. Even with the whole chamber stuffed full it just ticks over gently, then two puffs and smoke city again.
It depends how much is left, but I usually leave the ashes in the smoker until I need it then empty into a container of fuel and mix the ashes in with the new stuff. I light a twist of newspaper and drop it into the smoker, then add fuel slowly and get it burning. Top it up, tamp it down by tapping the smoker on the ground and/or pushing the fuel down with the hive tool. If I need it lit for the whole afternoon I backfill with fuel, tamp down again and top with some green grass. I don't think it's ever run out of fuel.

Am I right in thinking that a Dadant smoker is a shape/style/type of smoker rather than an actual brandname?

Some places advertise a "Dadant type" or "Dadant style" smoker, check for the logo on the bellows. photo

It's good to see you recognize the superior quality of American made products:sifone:

I think the reason the Dadant smokers stay alight longer is simply the small metal tube under the fixed grid which other makes lack. It starts at the hole in the outside wall to the centre of the firebox. It works in much the same way as the cake icing cones which some attach to their bellows, by directing a jet of air direct the the seat of the fire.

Last edited:
Oh it is a commercially made unit for beekeeping, I bought it as a novelty, but it is for working africanized honey bee hives. It can really lay down some smoke.

Thanks for the info. I would like one for the fun of it. I searched for the image and found it to be Brazilian. Did you import it or do US suppliers sell them? I suppose it was quite expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks. I would like one for the fun of it. I searched for the image and found it to be Brazilian. Did you import it or do US suppliers sell them? I suppose it was quite expensive.

I got a co-worker who was going to Brazil on vacation buy it and ship it back a few years ago. It took 3 months to get here, but it arrived in perfect condition and it may very well be the only on in the USA.

I think it cost $200.00 total with shipping and everything, but it was worth it.

Last edited:
I think the reason the Dadant smokers stay alight longer is simply the small metal tube under the fixed grid which other makes lack. It starts at the hole in the outside wall to the centre of the firebox. It works in much the same way as the cake icing cones which some attach to their bellows, by directing a jet of air direct the the seat of the fire.

Really? I must look in mine. Stan is the fire starter. I've never looked inside it

Dadant's smokers are made by a company called VIVO in IL. They also make and sell a knockoff, though I think price wise they are close to the same.

I got a co-worker who was going to Brazil on vacation buy it and ship it back a few years ago. It took 3 months to get here, but it arrived in perfect condition and it may very well be the only on in the USA.

I think it cost $200.00 total with shipping and everything, but it was worth it.

I think Georgia Bees have one (sorry to disillusion you).
My brother-in-law lives in the US and is going backpacking in Brazil this summer (despite the Zica virus), perhaps I can persuade him to find one for me - but unlikely.

Last edited:
I think Georgia Bees have one (sorry to disillusion you).

I found the picture on his blog, the bottom says it belongs to the University of Georgia.

I would have been really surprised if John had one, he doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the box from what I have seen on the videos he makes. He puts ant poison in his hives to kill SHB.... genius.

My brother-in-law lives in the US and is going backpacking in Brazil this summer (despite the Zica virus), perhaps I can persuade him to find one for me - but unlikely.

Actually a good tinsmith could probably make it without much difficulty.

Cheers for all the feedback folks, I treated myself to a Dadant which arrived yesterday morning and was duly played with yesterday afternoon
Half as big again in volume than my cheapo, lit first time and stayed alight for 3 hours without refill - what more do you need ?

Great to not have to stress/think about it during inspections, it was just there ready to go - no more frantically tipping out and relighting midway through a hive inspection

Wish I'd known about them three years ago :winner1st:

Cheers for all the feedback folks, I treated myself to a Dadant which arrived yesterday morning and was duly played with yesterday afternoon
Half as big again in volume than my cheapo, lit first time and stayed alight for 3 hours without refill - what more do you need ?

Great to not have to stress/think about it during inspections, it was just there ready to go - no more frantically tipping out and relighting midway through a hive inspection

Wish I'd known about them three years ago :winner1st:

Excellent :)

Last winter I bought a smoker in the Thornes sale. The sort with removable fire basket. Did not work very well. There was a big gap between the side of the basket and the side of the smoker, and I thought air was probably going straight up that, rather then through the fuel. I put a couple of strips from an insulating blanket , the type used when soldering pipes, round the outside of the fire basket . Now works a treat. Lights first go and has never gone out on me. It does get through the fuel though.

Latest posts

Back