Smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use as smoker fuel ?

• Wood Shavings

Votes: 51 9.0%
  • Rotten Wood

Votes: 73 12.9%
  • Egg Box's

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Pine Cones

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Hessian Sack

Votes: 42 7.4%
  • Cardboard

Votes: 112 19.8%
  • Cotton Pellets

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • Wood Pellets

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • A mixture of some of the above

Votes: 160 28.2%
  • Something Else

Votes: 71 12.5%

• Total voters
Going to leave my smoker at home this year and try misting with rain water. If all else fails may carry a few smoke grenades similar to those used by the army....

Orange or Red ? :ack2:

Going to leave my smoker at home this year and try misting with rain water.
If its one of our normal summers you should have no problem,rain on tap,or even misty.

Semi-shredded cardboard.
Th0rnes generously include a big wadge of the stuff as packing with every order.
I simply check that the stuff I retain and burn is not printed and does not have any adhering tape/labels. It rolls easily, allows good air flows, lights a dream and is free.
Agent for Thornes tells me that they realise they have shot themselves in the foot by using shredded cardboard for packaging since it is an excellent smoker fuel!

Dried lawn mowings. Finman says it's too strong, but I find it the mildest coolest smoke

At least it's lower tar than fags. And cardboard...

Donkey/horse droppings is the best smoker fuel. I've been trying almost everithing else. But is getting more difficult to find donkeys these days.

Donkey/horse droppings is the best smoker fuel. I've been trying almost everithing else. But is getting more difficult to find donkeys these days.

I'm not surprised they're always dropping things. Must be hellish getting your keys out if you have hooves.

Not if you live near a donkey sanctuary...:rofl: Oooops...that would be me!

seems i am one of the few to use cotton wastes, ok it difficult to light, but i use paper from a cross cut shredder

i find it once lit lasts a very long time, so i can do a whole apiary with beginners and trainers without relighting, and it doesn't got out very easily

so if i am waving my arms ,pointing and talking, it is still alight when needed

but at £4 a for 2 kilo it is expensive

seems i am one of the few to use cotton wastes, ok it difficult to light, but i use paper from a cross cut shredder

i find it once lit lasts a very long time, so i can do a whole apiary with beginners and trainers without relighting, and it doesn't got out very easily

so if i am waving my arms ,pointing and talking, it is still alight when needed

but at £4 a for 2 kilo it is expensive

I use CC fuel as well MM.

I have a mini bunsen burner (the type chefs use) to light it, which I find helps, although I also find that I have to light it a good 30 minutes before an inspection to get it going properly.

After trying various cardboards, loo roll holders etc. I have now discovered that shredded paper is good - all our personal info is shredded and now it is burned too!

I've been looking for rocking horses.

I use Thornes shredded cardboard. I tried their pellets and wasn't keen. Their CC smoker fuel is good once lit - I use a blow lamp to get it going. It doesn't go out when you leave it in the car and it tips over and you then come back an hour later.....

After trying various cardboards, loo roll holders etc. I have now discovered that shredded paper is good - all our personal info is shredded and now it is burned too!

Does it not burn too fast? I tend to put our shredding through the worms and the compost at the allotment, but that would be an easy source.

Not if you live near a donkey sanctuary...:rofl: Oooops...that would be me!

me too !! I will wander up there tomorrow... can you just pick it up?

We have stopped using smokers and use only Optima essential oils mixed in light syrup and applied through a pump sprayer. The bees love the smell, are gentle working with, and get the antibacterial benefit of essential oils. No more fires, smoke, and fuel issues.

Latest posts

Back