Smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use as smoker fuel ?

• Wood Shavings

Votes: 51 9.0%
  • Rotten Wood

Votes: 73 12.9%
  • Egg Box's

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Pine Cones

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Hessian Sack

Votes: 42 7.4%
  • Cardboard

Votes: 112 19.8%
  • Cotton Pellets

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • Wood Pellets

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • A mixture of some of the above

Votes: 160 28.2%
  • Something Else

Votes: 71 12.5%

• Total voters
for most hive manipulations I use hessian sack, but for a quick 'visit' I use egg trays

I have a Scots pine in the garden and collect the cones and needles each year and dry off in the shed. Great smoker fuel.

Rotten wood, the kind that you can break up into fibres in your hands. It isn't rotting fast enough in the old orchard, so I need to stock up in local copses usually when off to my heather site.

I have been using cardboard sparingly as that was all I had after a very wet September meant I didn't get any grass to dry.

However, I also have a whole load of lavender to try and I've been saving my satsuma skins after suggestions on here that these are both good fuels.

Any thing that smokes well and I don't have to pay for.

can I advise folk to check out their local pet supplies shop, as they usually have hessian sacks to dispose of (used to transport peanuts etc)

Dried lawn mowings. Finman says it's too strong, but I find it the mildest coolest smoke, and my girls seem to prefer it to cardboard, which I used to used but which could annoy them.

Dried cow dung .

Marij................uana

Never been stung yet.

:rofl:

(joke)

Semi-shredded cardboard.
Th0rnes generously include a big wadge of the stuff as packing with every order.
I simply check that the stuff I retain and burn is not printed and does not have any adhering tape/labels. It rolls easily, allows good air flows, lights a dream and is free.

Yes Rosti it's really good fuel and burns well.

Problem is every time I use it I get a really bad head.
Don't know what it does to the bees.

Tea bags ( Yorkshire Tea ) lol
Lancashire tea is too gud to burn lol

Latest posts

Back