smoker fuel

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What's your favourite fuel for smokers and what stays alight longest? After many a trial and error I just use tightly rolled up toilet rolls but they aren't always easy to get alight.

Hessian sacking - which I buy in 30 sack lots from some Coffee importer on ePay.

It's easy to cut and roll into tubes to size, stays alight and the smoke is less pungent than cardboard.

nice dry well rotted wood. lovely smoke and lovely smell. so easy to light and stays lit.
Darren.

What's your favourite fuel for smokers and what stays alight longest? After many a trial and error I just use tightly rolled up toilet rolls but they aren't always easy to get alight.

...a whole toilet roll?
:icon_204-2:

I do believe you are right goran although the ones i have come across have had darker rings on them

There are also on some other trees, but common use is from beech. Some people use it just dried, someone boil it then dry ( as they say, you get milder smoke). But I had no problem this way either, without boiling-cooking. There are procedures how to boil it, but I don't try to remember it. When I need it I will find it:)

Forgot, first cut in proper pieces then dry in a sack on the air. Try the other way and you'll see..

Last edited:
MY favorite is Inonotus obliquus.

They are rare to find. It is a good fire starter. It takes a fire from car's cicarette lighter.

As basic mass I use rotten birch. It does not make smoker dirty

Pakurik%C3%A4%C3%A4p%C3%A4.jpg

Laho+koivunkanto+Laho+koivun+kanto++ja+puut+puu+04.JPG

Last edited:
Whatever you use,put a bay leaf or two in the smoker.......smells lush !!

Going to use the tobacco stalks this year. A few of the online bee supply companies appear to be selling this product in 2013. There are studies show a correlation between tobacco application and varroa numbers.

Im off to find some of that fungi.

The local bee inspector uses dry wood.

When he saw we had horses, he suggested the horse nuts were really good to use once lit. I'll try some in spring.

Latest posts

Back