smallest number of frames worth extracting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nakedapiarist

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've got my shiny new extractor and a big pile of bees working away, but only three fully capped frames at the moment. I looked at the size of the extractor vs the volume of honey and it looks like I'd loose most of it in sticky residue on the equipment. How many frames before it's worth bothering?

You're right on the edge; you won't lose more than a frame AT MOST though I would say; given time, honey flows well. If the extractor takes three, go for it. If four, crush and strain.

ADD Shake the others; may be ready.

Last edited:
It's a four frame. My indoor bees on their double brood have six fully capped deep frames with no brood - I've been wondering if i should extract them or leave them as winter store

I'd argue that even a single full super is wasteful (or honey and time spent cleaning up). I'd wait until you've got a couple or decide that that's it for this season, and do it all then.

What a waste! To draw combs needs same amount honey as honey in cells. Terrible advice!

New ectractor and them ctush Combs.... ????

Wait that you have one box honey.

:iagree:

Ok so some people will disagree but I cannot see a reason to crush & strain if you have an extractor!

You will probably lose as much honey as using the extractor + destroying very valuable comb!

Everyone will have a different opinion on minimum number of frames to extract, for me it is roughly 5 supers full!

Ok so some people will disagree but I cannot see a reason to crush & strain if you have an extractor!

You will probably lose as much honey as using the extractor + destroying very valuable comb!

Everyone will have a different opinion on minimum number of frames to extract, for me it is roughly 5 supers full!

I can't see the point of buying an extractor for 2 hives. Crush and strain is fine for a few hives - much quicker and less messy. Cut comb honey even more so (and sells at a premium). Getting the last bit of honey out from mashed up comb is tricky but can be done with a potato ricer or fruit press, or you can melt it out.

It's a four frame. My indoor bees on their double brood have six fully capped deep frames with no brood - I've been wondering if i should extract them or leave them as winter store

If it's one of the el-cheapo tangential ones then my first time I used one I had eight full frames but it was a matter of getting osr out during a warm June. I reckon I lost part of one frame but I had the unit tipped to drain as much as possible in a very warm room with a fan heater aimed at it.

Beware - I had to change all the m6 nuts and bolts used in the wetted parts as they are supplied with mild steel (which rusts) by the makers. M6 stainless steel bolts, washers and nuts are cheaply available on ebay.

I can't see the point of buying an extractor for 2 hives. Crush and strain is fine for a few hives - much quicker and less messy.
Because it's fun :) I don't want to crush and strain 'cos I'll loose drawn comb for next year but I am doing a super for cut comb - largely because I ran out of foundation ;)

Because it's fun :) I don't want to crush and strain 'cos I'll loose drawn comb for next year but I am doing a super for cut comb - largely because I ran out of foundation ;)

Of course, do what you want it's your hobby! I did crush and strain for a few years and would say not to believe all the naysayers. The lack of drawn comb was far from the most important limiting factor in my yield! Another nice upside is not having to store the drawn comb so carefully. But beyond a few hives and with gaining a bit more experience I think the hassle of extracting starts to pay itself back.

What a waste! To draw combs needs same amount honey as honey in cells. Terrible advice!

New ectractor and them ctush Combs.... ????

Wait that you have one box honey.

OP wants a first harvest to taste without licking it off the sides of an extractor. His and shiny new or not. You were there 50 years ago, or x (>>1) years ago. I was there a year ago and I can tell you the value of a few frames of wax is nothing - nothing - in comparison.

We should have another month or so of foraging left so I'd wait for just a few weeks.
(of course British weather depending.. when was summer?)

My very first extraction was just 4 frames, worth doing even if you loose a little bit of honey if not just for the satisfaction but also, so that you know that the extractor works ok, doesn't leak, you have all the right kit to pack your honey and to get the process and organisation right, rather than waiting to do a huge first batch and get in a muddle.

regarding crush and straining and the merit of having an extractor with just a few hives...

My extractor cost just under £100.
New super foundation costs ~50p each
So spinning 200 shallow frames of honey will cost the same as replacing that foundation.
And it's easier, more efficient in extracting and giving the comb back saves the bees work so giving more honey next time.

If you're going to be a beek for 5 years or more an extractor is a no-brainer, and the sooner you get one, the quicker the pay-back.
(and if you're not going to do it for that long it will have a good residual resale value when you do give up)
either way it makes both financial sense and it's good for honey production.

OP wants a first harvest to taste without licking it off the sides of an extractor. His and shiny new or not. You were there 50 years ago, or x (>>1) years ago. I was there a year ago and I can tell you the value of a few frames of wax is nothing - nothing - in comparison.

If you want to taste, you may take with spoon honey from comb. No need to break frames.
Are you going to taste 4 kg honey?

Comb crushing is stupid. Can you admit it?

Wy beginners must do beekeeping with stupid way? Why? They can do it so without odd advices..

Another reason for having an extractor is it'll probably make quite a good mash tun outside honey season :) Plus i can loan it out to other keepers in the area - our branch may have one but everyone wants it at the same time and for a non driver it's not been an option for me.

I understand and it was only a few years ago I was taking my first harvest! But still I would never suggest crush & strain as, as a beginner you want drawn super comb more than ever!
If it's just a taste then dig a spoonful out of a frame (as suggested) and as per the other suggestion I really recommend using an extractor, when you have one, as it's also part of the learning process.

If you have the time and inclination you can get 90% of the residual honey out by using one of the silicon cake mix thingies!

I still use one to a certain extent as I don't like wasting any honey (after all I'm a Yorkshireman!).

By destroying comb you are:-

a) making the bees use a lot of next seasons nectar to build new comb
b) make a super less attractive for the bees (only foundation). Even just a few drawn frames (especially when wet) will have the bees up in a super in no time (assuming there is a flow).

I understand and it was only a few years ago I was taking my first harvest! But still I would never suggest crush & strain as, as a beginner you want drawn super comb more than ever!
If it's just a taste then dig a spoonful out of a frame (as suggested) and as per the other suggestion I really recommend using an extractor, when you have one, as it's also part of the learning process.

If you have the time and inclination you can get 90% of the residual honey out by using one of the silicon cake mix thingies!

I still use one to a certain extent as I don't like wasting any honey (after all I'm a Yorkshireman!).

By destroying comb you are:-

a) making the bees use a lot of next seasons nectar to build new comb
b) make a super less attractive for the bees (only foundation). Even just a few drawn frames (especially when wet) will have the bees up in a super in no time (assuming there is a flow).

:iagree:...I use a silicon spoon ...pink of course....to scrape out the last honey from the extractor....never much left in there after that!
The empty comb is really worth it...gives the bees instant storage for the following year. I put some wet frames in the freezer and gave some back to the bees to clean up...nothing wasted. I sprayed all my stored frames with Certain...no wax moth damage after the winter.

Another reason for having an extractor is it'll probably make quite a good mash tun outside honey season :) .

Mash tun lol I used to brew ale too with malt from Tucker's Malting's. Floating mash tun like David line used I also used to crush it myself not done that for many years.... Some of the best ale I've ever tasted. Far too indulgent a hobby for me though I used to brew most Saturdays and sample my matured ware's as I was brewing. By the time I was cooling the wort into the evening ready for pitching the yeast starter I was rat arsed. :icon_204-2: had over 30 gallons in my cellar at one point awsome days

Last edited:
:iagree:...I use a silicon spoon ...pink of course....to scrape out the last honey from the extractor....never much left in there after that!
The empty comb is really worth it...gives the bees instant storage for the following year. I put some wet frames in the freezer and gave some back to the bees to clean up...nothing wasted. I sprayed all my stored frames with Certain...no wax moth damage after the winter.

If your super frames have never had brood in then 99% time wax moth is not a problem. I have never had wax moth in super frames but brood frames is a different matter!

Back